Ruby Bakers journeys through creativity

Capturing moments, crafting memories
Bakers take on Monet’s famous piece, the waterlilies. This was recreated with acrylic paint on canvas. (Ruby Baker)

Acrylics, watercolor, and gouache- oh my!

Senior Ruby Baker is the school’s resident artist and will be showing  her work during the drama production of “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown.” Her senior art portfolio and gallery will be on display for all three nights at the entrance to Redemption Bible Church where the musical will be held.

Baker has been a Fresno Christian student since eighth grade and is now celebrating her final year of school, living up her senior year. Baker is an involved student on campus: she is a part of the girls tennis team, multiple advanced placement courses, and a member of the California Scholarship Federation.

Baker fell in love with the freedom of the canvas and all the possibilities it allows. She specializes in anything with a brush and can paint on anything. She makes the world her canvas, from helping her classmates work on the infamously big project of the homecoming float’s colorful backdrop, to painting posters for athletic events.

“I absolutely adore painting in every medium, especially acrylic, watercolor and gouache,” Baker said.

Watercolor on soft sized paper, special for the wet paints. This is an artistic rendition of a poster for short film: “All Too Well.” (Ruby Baker)

Baker has been in art teacher Vickey Belmont‘s class all four years of high school as both a student and a teacher’s aide. She has enjoyed learning about different art styles and techniques, while getting to use new art mediums. In Belmont’s class the students are often asked to research and learn about different artists to which Baker learned more about famous inspirational artists. Through that, Baker is especially a fan of Claude Monet and his painting the Water Lilies.

Baker also enjoys reading and binging a good classic TV show. Her favorite series is Anne of Green Gables. Baker can often either be found in her room working on a new master piece or reading. Her room is filled with multiple book cases as well as her own art covering the walls. She even has some of her art and posters from her favorite movies on her ceiling!

As this senior gets ready to head off to college and start a new chapter of her life she promises to continue practicing her art, finding inspiration in everything and anything. Baker can often be found doodling on her class notes with a variety of pens and highlighters.

“I will definitely continue my artistic pilgrimage past high school,” Baker said. “I’d love to pursue a higher education in the world of painting. My favorite ambition is to become a full-fledged artist, whether by earning an art degree or starting a small local business.”

Baker lives by her life verse Philippians 4:6-7, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

She continues to give the glory of her artistic talent to God, thanking Him for allowing her to bless others through her work, whether it be for a school project, an aesthetic painting for others to admire or doodles on sticky notes she slips into her friends folders.

Baker can’t wait to show the FCS community her portfolio:

“I’m most excited to debut my newest acrylic painting featuring the ocean waves of Pismo Beach.”

Doors open, May 2, 6:30 p.m. and the play begins at 7 p.m. all three nights, with the addition of an afternoon showing Sat. at 2 p.m. Stop by Thursday, Friday, or Saturday to see Baker’s work and become a part of her ongoing artistic journey.

To read more art features from the Feather visit: Feature Art – Scratch Board Art and Feature Art – Oil Pastels