Volleyball sets stage for new year

Similar to every sports team, members of the girls? varsity volleyball team began playing for different reason and from various backgrounds. But in contrast to some individual sports, ten girls have grown together to form one unit, one team.

?I began playing volleyball in fifth grade because of my sister,? Tara Albrechtson, ?06, said. ?Now I love volleyball with all my heart and with a passion.?

Unlike Albrechtson, Claire Kister, ?08, began playing volleyball because the uniforms appealed to her.

?I started playing volleyball in seventh grade,? Kister said. ?Ever since then volleyball has been an important thing in my life. I have built many relationships through it. Regardless of intense practices I also seem to be happy going everyday.?

Last season the volleyball team had a record of 9-4 in the West Sierra League. Coach Larry Orender believes the source of the wins is due to the friendship and history between team members.

?The team plays so well together because of their chemistry,? Orender said. ?Some of them have played together for a few years and they have learned to become one team.?

Even off the court the girls spend time being in each other?s company. This encompasses one of their traditions in preparation for a game.

?Our team really enjoys being with each other,? Jessica Berg, ?07, said. ?Even before games we go to someone?s house and eat a small dinner, hang out, relax and just talk.?

Albrechtson considers extra curricular activities to be valuable part in people?s life, because it introduces experiences one could not gain from just going to school.

?In sports you form relationships with people you usually would not,? Albrechtson said. ?Sports usually takes a few months and, during this time, each team goes through wins and losses so it acts as a bonding experience.?

The girls opened their season at the Caruthers Raisin Harvest Invitational on Sept. 7 at Caruthers High. They won Pool B play losing to Fowler, 25-24, 25-23 but beat Corcoran, 25-21, 25-12, and Washinton Union, 25-13, 25-16. The girls will play in the finals round on Sept. 10.

The girls? first WSL game is Sept. 20. It will be at Caruthers High School at 6 P.M. For more information regarding girls? volleyball, contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5.