'Rancho Tesoro' produces quality story-line, attention to detail

Rancho Tesoro, the musical being performed at Woodward Park at 13 Acres Stage is a great play, as long as you love a great Western-themed play with comedy and romance with a good deal of music. This play is a must see and reopens again, Sept. 28-Oct. 1.

For example, when Matthew Landon (Daniel Rodriguez) needs to be put in to his place, he goes from being embarrassed to becoming a dancer and behaving like he was born there. This play has a wide mix of moments, which bring emotions from sorrow to laughter.

At first glance, this show is impressive even before the actors set foot on stage. Also, the excellent music performed by the orchestra under the direction of Bill Barbour really makes you feel like you are going into the play, adding to the setting or the play. The great music also makes you feel the emotions so that way when the actors are sad you are sad when they are happy you are happy.

The musical is about a young 17-year-old boy named Matthew who is sent to a ranch instead of being imprisoned for a DUI; he is accompanied by his father, Bill Landon (Terry Lewis). Bill learns of the ranch’s financial down fall from the caretaker, Rosa Carillo (Paula Fansler), and offers to use his accounting expertise to aid them.

Bill asks if he can help; however when Rosa Carillo’s daughter, Katy Carillo (Charlotte Rosa), finds out she gets mad because when Bill tries to help she feels like shes getting replaced.

All the arguing and Matthew’s rebellious nature causes an internal conflict. When Matthew is faced with the issue, he must choose between being a rebel and in trouble with the law or a good samaritan and being a respectful man.

The acting was so great that I felt like I travelled to the ranch and not part of an audience. I felt like I was a rancher. I also enjoyed the costumes. I enjoyed them because you can tell that the costumes matched their stage personalities. For example, Matthew looks like a rebel in a skull and crossbones T-shirt, jeans, sagging pants with black high top Nike shoes, and lots of jewelry. This play was very well thought out in all details and executed very well.

Also the set is designed with a ranch theme. You can tell that they put a lot of time and effort in to the props. Some shows it looks like the crew whipped it together in five minutes but this one looked like they spent months on the background alone and the great acting produced a great play.

This drama should be on the top of everyone’s list. This play covers almost every genre including comedy, drama, tragedy, and mystery. This play is so good I will go see it again and I hope I will see you there. There are provided seats but there is also a grass hill if you prefer to be back there. It starts at 7:30 p.m. so when the lights start to flash, make sure you get to a seat.

Rancho Tesoro is currently being performed at Woodward Park, 13 Acres Stage through Oct. 1 at 7:30 p.m. The musical opened, Sept. 22-24. The cost for parking is $5. Adult tickets are $15 and children twelve and under are $10.