Boys' soccer sport shorts: Riverdale held at two

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
(For the previous game, check out the Boys’ soccer sport shorts: Minarets seizes victory. Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 0-7 in the West Sequoia League and 2-19 overall as of Feb. 3. The Eagles will next host Tranquillity, Feb. 7.

BOYS’ SOCCER, 2011-12

RIVERDALE FINDS WIN, SENIOR NIGHT–Feb. 3
The Riverdale Cowboys featured a squad of 17 seniors for their annual Senior Night game against the Eagles in a nail biter match, Feb. 3.

Previously the Eagles lost 7-0, but this time around told a much different story. The game was 0-0 until near the end of the first half where the Cowboys scored on a indirect kick inside the penalty box, 1-0.

“It was really nice being in the game against Riverdale especially on their senior night,” senior captain Austin Rurik said. “I mean, we’re talking about the best team in DV with a perfect record in league, on their home field, they had 17 seniors on their team, and we held them to two points overall.”

Despite being down 1-0 at half, FC had their own chances on goal and continued to have more in the second with an indirect kick in the box of their own, but none found the back of Riverdale’s net. The Cowboys, however, knocked in one more goal late in the second half to win 2-0.

Junior Domenic Mendoza agrees with Rurik in that he thought the game was going to be a blow out.

“I was expecting to get killed again because last time we played them we got demolished,” Mendoza said. “We were also playing on their field and so I knew it would be harder because they got their crowd behind them. We played really well though, we played as a team, we connected, we had a strong defense and we held them.”

The Eagles season will end this week after a game against Tranquillity, Feb. 7, and then senior night against Caruthers, Feb. 10. Rurik says he has been anticipating this final week with relief and melancholy.

“I’m excited for the last two games because they’re both at home and I’ve been a four year varsity starter,” Rurik said. “There’s been moments where I loved what I was doing and there’s been moments where I absolutely hated what I was doing. Just knowing it’s coming to an end is relieving, but also sad.”

The Eagles will next host Tranquillity, Feb. 7.