Princess Pageant fuels homecoming excitement (VIDEO)

To start homecoming week’s pageants off, the Princess Pageant took off in full swing, bringing much entertainment to the crowd. The pageant took place in Ground Zero where the princess nominees partook in many activities while in teams with their fellow competitors.

The teams were categorized by their classes with all juniors being together, sophomores together and all the freshmen together. This is a change from last year where one princess from each class were put together as a team.

A video of the princesses running around River Park doing unconventional things such as dropping to the floor or dancing behind a random stranger, played at the beginning of the pageant. The video was followed by the princesses forming into their teams and drinking a blended Happy Meal from McDonalds. Each team had 16 cups which were filled one inch of the way up. Whichever team finished all the cups first won the challenge. The freshmen, consisting of Skyler Lee, Courtney Messer and Maddie Luginbill, won this event by finishing their Happy Meal drinks before the other contestants.

For the next activity, the princesses were lined up at the front of the stage while the king nominees directed a team or an individual on what to do. Some princesses were told to sing and others were told to do physical activities such as push-ups. There was no winner of this event, only laughter from the crowd watching their fellow classmates participate in different tasks.

Collin Winegarden, ’15, enjoyed the pageant finding it very entertaining. Winegarden was excited to see that his sister was nominated, not expecting it to happen.

“My favorite part was when they had to drink the happy meal thing,” Winegarden said. “I was probably rooting for Gaby {Siqueiros, ’15,}. It was kind of weird to see my sister {Elise Winegarden, ’15,} up there. I didn’t really expect her to get nominated.”

Messer thought the activities were very interesting, liking the tasks she had to perform during one of them. However, Messer did not enjoy the meal she had to drink with the rest of her team.

“My favorite part was when we had to line up at the front of the stage and do crazy things,” Messer said. “I disliked drinking the happy meal that was blended up. The burger in it was really nasty and it tasted like chalk. I’m excited for the night of homecoming though, I’m looking forward to dressing up.”

Spanish teacher Beatriz Foth liked the difference in pace the pageant held. Expecting it to be similar to the 11 pageants she has seen in years past; she was surprised to see things change up a little bit.

“The pageant was different then past years that I’ve seen,” Foth said. “It was very interesting, and not what I expected. They still ate something gross but it wasn’t like worms or any of the yucky stuff they’ve done before. Of course what they ate was still disgusting but it could have been worse.”

Hannah Avila, ’14, highly anticipated the pageant expecting to have to eat or drink something unappetizing. Much to her suspicion she was right but was able to handle it due to the mental preparation she did beforehand.

“Well I sort of expected the princesses would have to do something with food since the past years they have had to eat or drink something gross,” Avila said. “With that said, I was able to mentally prepare my self for us eating something nasty such as McDonald’s blended. I expected more from the pageant but it was still exciting to be apart of it and experience the process of being a princess nominee.”

The king nominees were asked to help out in the pageant by directing the princesses on what to do during the second activity. Being one of the king nominees, Jordan Boudreau, ’13, assisted in this event and felt much excitement when he tried to hype up the crowd.

“It was really fun to be a part of the pageant,” Boudreau said. “It was great to see all the princesses kind of step out of their comfort zone because some of them can be really shy. I’m glad I got to be a part of it because I love going crazy and leading people like that so it was a good time.”

The Queen Pageant will be held in Ground Zero from 12:10-12:45 p.m., Oct. 24. The King Pageant will also be held in Ground Zero from 12:10-12:45 p.m., Oct. 25.

The 28th annual homecoming game will take place on the North Field at 7 p.m.. The pre-game events will start at 6:45 p.m.

For more information about homecoming, read the Oct. 23 article, Dress up days spark school spirit, excitement.