Proposition 30 aims to raise educational funds

While election day approaches, California voters focus not only on presidential candidates but state propositions as well. One in particular is Proposition 30, which focuses on raising income and sales tax to fund education.

A “yes” on this proposition would mean that the state would increase personal income taxes on high-income taxpayers for seven years, in addition to increasing sales taxes for four years. Also the new tax revenues, produced by the proposition would be available to fund programs in the state budget.

In opposition, a vote “no” on this proposition would mean that the state would not be able to increase personal income taxes or sales taxes. In addition, it would mean that state spending reductions, primary to education programs, would take effect in 2012-’13.

Those who are in favor of the proposition look to use the funds to better California schools along with stopping continued cuts to schools and public safety. They find it appropriate that California?s wealthiest be taxed more to provide new education funding.

California Governor Jerry Brown commented on his stance of Prop. 30. Many supporters of Brown and unions are calling for voters to vote yes on Prop. 30.

“A combination, a collection, a coming ? together of individual people and school workers,” Brown said. “To counteract the millions and millions of dollars from billionaires and others who evidently don’t care as much as you do about the schools of California.”

For those who oppose Prop. 30, the raising of taxes are a primary concern, especially when there is no guarantee that the additional money is put toward schools in a possibly $50 billion tax increase. In their eyes, there is a lack of trust that the money would be used for its primary purpose.

According to an NBC Bay Area article, “Instead, it just goes to the politicians to spend on whatever they want.”

The proposition does not reform schools, pensions or cut waste and bureaucracy. Those who are against Prop. 30 are some educators, small businesses and taxpayer groups. These groups would like more money for school but remain skeptic about where the funds truly go.

For more information on Prop. 30, visit this website.

For additional input on both sides of the argument for the “YES” visit this website or for the “NO” visit this website.

For more features, read the Nov. 2 article, Science teacher welcomes new addition, first born.