Baseball tied for first in WSL

With playoffs beginning on May 14, the focus of the boys’ baseball team now turns to closing out league and solidifying playoff seeding. The team, which currently is tied for first in the West Sierra League (WSL), has only three league games remaining to try and capture a league championship.

“We slipped up a little bit in the first half, especially with our loss to Riverdale, and it hurt us,” head coach Jon Hall said. “Now our focus shifts to closing out league and carrying momentum into the playoffs.”

The Eagles most recent victory, an 8-4 conquest over Riverdale on April 29, moved the team closer to a league title. According to Jon Steele, ’03, the victory was extra special because the Eagles exacted revenge against the Cowboys who defeated them at home earlier in the season.

“So far, beating Riverdale has been the highlight of my season,” Steele said. “Our loss in the first half was extremely disappointing so we were very pumped up after our victory.”

The Eagles scored six runs in the top of the sixth to overcome a 2-4 deficit and take control of the game. The boys’ were leading 5-4 but broke the game open on senior Brian Casey’s three-run single.

“My hit was clutch,” Casey said. “I’m very pleased that I got a chance to give our team a lift when we needed it. Now we can hopefully go to playoffs and win a Valley championship.”

The boys’ next host Tranquility on May 1 and then travel to Mendota on May 6. FC is now 12-8 overall and 7-2 in WSL play.