Chowchilla Union High School to lose controversial mascot

20151117-Chowchilla1
[/media-credit] Chowchilla Union High School will lose the Redskin mascot and name when Assembly Bill 30 is enforced.

Chowchilla says goodbye to Redskin symbol

Since the early 1920s, the Redskin has been the mascot of Chowchilla Union High School, and a symbol of pride throughout the community. However, Assembly Bill 30 may require them to drop the Redskin name, as some view it as a racist or derogatory term. The Racial Mascots Act, effective Jan. 1, 2017, prohibits public schools from the use of the term Redskin as a school mascot or name of a team. The town name is derived from the tribe of Indians that once resided along the Chowchilla River, and in past years, descendants of those indians attended the school.

While a large majority of the community supports the name, there are also those who see it as an opportunity to make a new tradition for the future generations. The school is approaching their centennial, with a proud history spanning back to the early 1900s.

Being in the centennial class, I believe we should graduate as Redskins. But if such a name is offensive to Native Americans we should change it, but after the centennial. We can’t have ninety-nine years of Redskins. We need one hundred years. It could become a tradition, changing the name every hundred years. — Cody Burris

Current student, Cody Burris, shares his opinion on the name change so close to the centennial.

“Being in the centennial class, I believe we should graduate as Redskins,” Burris said.”But if such a name is offensive to Native Americans we should change it, but after the centennial. We can’t have ninety-nine years of Redskins. We need one hundred years. It could become a tradition, changing the name every hundred years.”

In several cases, families with deep roots in the town that go back several generations have all at one point attended the school and graduated as Redskins. Kids see their older siblings graduate as redskins and they envision themselves doing the same thing someday.

Long time Chowchilla resident, Craig Judd, believes the name should stay.

“I think its wrong, since we’ve had it for so long and no ones ever said anything about it,” Judd said. “It’s our school heritage, our colors. I’ve talked to several Indian people and they think the same thing, that it’s not racist.”

20151117-Chowchilla2
[/media-credit] The Redskins is a mascot to Chowchilla that is looked at with proud heritage and symbolizes the town’s traditions.

In an effort to show the meaning behind the redskin name, Chowchilla locals put together a video in which students and faculty members share what it means to them to be a redskin. To the community, being a redskin is a symbol of the pride they have for their school, and a way they respect the history of their town.

Former Chowchilla resident and Native American, Marty Martain, believes that the mascot is not offensive.

“Nowhere in the years that I lived in Chowchilla did the people of Chowchilla disgrace Indians,” Martain said. “They were proud of their name and they still are proud of their name. I have run into many people in the Indian tribes that say they don’t have a problem with the mascot names, as long as they are not disgracing the Indian tribe they are representing.”

It is also seen by some as a demeaning and disrespectful racial slur. For example, President Obama believes this is a chance to break stereotypes in the nation, sports teams included. We can look back in history and see a time when Native Americans were treated disrespectfully, and the mascot could be seen in a negative way.

Student Jacob Avedian,’18, believes the name should be changed in order to preserve the dignity of all races.

“I think that the name Redskin may offend some people, and if used in a derogatory way it is offensive,” Avedian said. “Also, I think that having a derogatory term as the name of a team is a bad idea, and should be changed. Overall, my personal opinion is that the team should change their name.”

This may be a chance to change the way people view Native Americans. Those who claim Redskin is a derogatory name may have the ability to change it in the future. However, with the supporters of the Redskin name not willing to give up on their beloved mascot, perhaps there is still a chance for the Redskins.

For more information on this topic, visit the Huffington Post.

This author can be reached via Twitter:_ElizabethAnn16 and via Email: Elizabeth Baker

For more features, please read World of Sports: NFL veteran returns to football despite concussion history.