Tragedy strikes French capitol, world unites

23005496062_d34a484501_k
[/media-credit] Worldwide, nations have made efforts to pay their dues to Paris, as has the main square of Salamanca, Spain (pictured).

In an instant, the western world spun off of its axis. Violence ripped through the night, as the city of Paris fell under siege. At least 129 innocent citizens of France lost their lives, Nov. 13.

The French capitol is not unfamiliar to aggression. This is the second major attack within the city this year, following the Charlie Hebdo shooting in January. Yet, France has not seen such a deadly attack as this since WWII, and has fallen into shock.

A veil of terror has not only been laid over Paris, but over the world. The Islamic State, more commonly known as ISIS, claims they orchestrated the attacks on Paris. In recent years, ISIS has been a source of fear and hatred for many. This onslaught of violence is surely not our introduction to ISIS, but, for many, it is the tipping point.

Saturday night, two days after the raid, France retaliated. In coalition with the U.S. military, France launched ten fighter jets, headed toward Syria. The jets dropped 20 bombs in Raqqa, the city that serves as a makeshift capital for ISIS.

However, once the world graduated from its initial state of panic, an inspiring cycle began. Humans from all edges of Earth stretched out their hands and hearts to their friends in Europe. Social media outlets were swarmed with tweets, snaps and posts paying tribute to Paris. — Chloe Mueller

The unspoken realization is slowly sinking in: These events are leading up to something bigger. A major course of action is on the brink of commencing. President François Hollande of France labeled the attacks “an act of war.”

However, once the world graduated from its initial state of panic, an inspiring cycle began. Humans from all edges of Earth stretched out their hands and hearts to their friends in Europe. Social media outlets were swarmed with tweets, snaps and posts paying tribute to Paris.

20151116-ParisAttack
[/media-credit] In response to the tragedy, the City of Lights darkened a number of public spaces, including the Eiffel Tower.

Twitter was one of the most explosive platforms, and throughout the night the trending hashtags evolved to surround the crisis. Many French profiles used #PorteOuverte on their accounts, which signified a home that would provide shelter to those in need. International users sent out tweets with the phrase “Pray for Paris” to spread awareness.

Now, several days later, Twitter is booming with the slogan, “Terrorism Has No Religion.” This outcry is in response to hate speech filling the internet in response to the attack. In an act of social justice, users have not only protected citizens of Paris, but also any innocent civilians targeted due to their affiliation with Syria or Islam.

Regardless of race, belief or location, humans everywhere are logging online to send their support to Paris. Those left uninjured in Paris are lining the streets to donate blood. Those who want to send tangible assistance to Paris are donating to online sources, such as French Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders.

Perhaps something beautiful truly can bloom out of pure darkness. While the hearts of Parisians will not mend any time soon, their global neighbors have reached out to assist in the healing process. As long as we continue pouring energy into spreading awareness and aid, the loss suffered in the heart of Paris will not soon be forgotten.

You can donate to Doctors Without Borders, an organization assisting in Paris.

To stay updated on Paris, read Paris Attacks Live Updates: French Authorities Identify Key Players by NPR.