Join the Discussion: Eastern and Western perspectives

2016211-easter-western-001
[/media-credit] There are a myriad of different traditions from both cultures which have been developed over centuries of living.

Eastern and Western culture contrast each other in a myriad of different ways. From values, ethics, and traditions, both cultures have endured and prospered.

Besides different traditions and language, what the people focus on in education is also a prevalent difference. In eastern countries; learning focuses on STEM or science, technology, engineering, and math. Whereas American schools, tend to focus on critical thinking skills and creativity. How then do students from eastern and western schools see their respective education systems and the values they hold as scholars? 

Work ethic indicates success
Stephen Lee, ’16
February 3, 2016

“A good student is honest, hard working, and is nice to other people. He find his own interest and works hard on it. This is what defines the successful students both in academic pursuits and in life. It is important to be a good student as those who excel in school often succeed in life. Because their work ethic has been built up.”

Happiness improves performance
Candice Cao, ’18
February 3, 2016

“I think that health and happiness are very important in a good student. A successful student is a healthy and happy person, who always tries their best. These are very important qualities as an unhappy student will not work as hard as a regular student. Trying your best is important because someone who tries their best will always improve.”

Education differences
Nap Wong, ’18
February 4, 2016

“Schools in China are definitely more challenging. More strict, classes are much harder. The atmosphere of the schools can be really depressing. School in USA is the opposite, we have more chance to present ourselves, and the classes are not as depressing as the schools in China.”

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/244449993″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Culture clash
Clak Zhu ’17
February 4, 2016

“I think the biggest difference between Chinese and American school is that we have choices in America.” Zhu said. “We can choose our own classes, we can choose what kind of college we want to go: community, state or private university. What class Chinese students are to take is already designated by school office. In senior year of high school, Chinese schools don’t teach new things, they only repeat what they learned in the past to prepare for one single test. To me this is extremely ridiculous. The entire system is a huge machine which makes people into slaves. In America, I truly feel that I’m in control of myself, I get to make the choice.”

20160222-eastern-western-003
[/media-credit] Western and Eastern cultures differ in many ways which revolve around the cultural and educational values.

Initiative forms successful people
Kaylee Ferguson, ’19
February 5, 2016

“A good student needs to be someone who strives to succeed in school. They should take initiative when they are absent to get their homework and not procrastinate. A successful student works hard and tries their best to succeed. They should be responsible and act like a leader towards their classmates.”  

Delayed gratification shapes character
Stephen Walters, ’18
February 5, 2016

“A good student is a student who has the attitude to prepare themselves for class. A successful student who can uses that attitude to achieve a good grade. The attitude is based on their work ethic and their ability to separate themselves from a given temptation like the computer or phone. A successful student maintains the ethic of work first and entertainment later.”

Communication as necessity
Chloe Soto ’17
February 5, 2016

“I think a good student should put in the time and effort it takes for them to be successful in all subjects of school. But to do that you need to stay organized and keep yourself focused. To be a successful student you should have already mastered of keeping yourself in order and up-to-date in all aspects of school. Also, in my opinion, you should have good communication with your teachers and also your peers to stay connected.”

Sacrifice for success
Chris Kollenkark, ’16
February 5, 2016

“I think a good student is a student who studies hard not only to pass with a good grade but also to learn and retain the information that’s taught. A successful student is one who works hard and ultimately puts school above ‘fun’ and ‘athletics’ knowing school is important and studying hard will make them successful.”

For more articles please read Cheer reestablishes competition squad or National Drug and Alcohol Facts week educates teens.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @matthewsue1 and via email: Matthew Sue.