COLUMN: Why journalists seek the news

[/media-credit] Since ancient times, journalism has connected readers. Now, journalism has progressed on an international level, to share intercontinental stories.

What is journalism? Today, adults turn on the morning broadcast whilst picking at their breakfast. Some snatch up the daily paper from their doorstep after work. Smartphones, settled into teenagers’ pockets, buzz and bing with notifications, lighting up their screens with the newest updates.

Thanks to the digital age, the news can now be accessed at the touch of any finger tip. However, the news is nothing new at all. Likewise, neither is the art of journalism.

The earliest piece of journalism discovered, the Acta Diurna, dates back to 59 B.C. Since ancient times, reporters have stayed at it, faithfully delivering various forms of the news. Somewhere over the last couple of thousand years, traditional hand-written articles have transformed into the wave of digital media-packed news that we indulge in today.

In recent times, journalism has progressed so rapidly that many do not even recognize it. It is a staple, embedded within nearly all technology. Even social media outlets, such as Twitter and Snapchat, thrive on journalism, wrapping tidbits of the latest reports in colorful packaging.

Why has journalism evolved so expeditiously? Many large corporations and applications have tuned into the gold mine that is journalism. When dressed up correctly, it is a resource that can appeal to any audience. Take Comedy Central’s The Daily Show, which borrows news stories and puts a satirical spin on them. While the show is not a conventional “news source,” it simply brings out the comedic side of current events. It is now one of the highest ranked shows to ever air on the channel.

Journalism always has, and always will, connect the human race. And now, more than in any other century, journalism serves as the glue that holds together people on opposite edges of the world. It is the purest form of storytelling, connecting all who choose to partake. — Chloe Mueller

More standard, orthodox digital journalism models have been growing, as well. Unbiased, established sources such as The Huffington Post and Politico have been expanding their ranks, alongside publications with more specific motifs and audiences, such as Vice and Buzzfeed.

So, what is the link between all of these modern news sources? What is the connection between websites offering black-and-white headlines and lighthearted television shows offering celebrity gossip? Between the Poynter Institute and E! News? This brings us back to our original inquiry; what is journalism?

The Journalism Education Association (JEA) hosts their Scholastic Journalism Week each year. The week celebrates and honors journalism, and encourages youth to actively seek it out. This year, the theme for the week is “The Stories we Tell.” This theme is built upon a concept which perfectly articulates the definition and greater purpose of journalism; journalism is simply storytelling.

20160222fc-news002
[/media-credit] Feather photojournalists recreated the JEA Scholastic Journalism Week logo, which is crafted after “The Stories We Tell.”

There is a reason journalism has prevailed throughout every era, movement and generation. Journalists have a motivation for participating in their work. They are the artists of their age, intertwining the stories and emotions of others on paper — or on a computer screen. Journalism always has, and always will, connect the human race. And now, more than in any other century, journalism serves as the glue that holds together people on opposite edges of the world. It is the purest form of storytelling, connecting all who choose to partake.

As we carry on throughout our daily routines, we are all indadvertedly consuming products that were made possible by a determined reporter. Whether it be through the link that is emailed to us from a friend, the article we clicked on while scrolling through Facebook, or the Vine that went viral overnight; it was made possible by digital journalism.

Every day, we have the opportunity to get a glimpse of the lives around us, to become fully immersed in our world. This is why journalists seek the news. Regardless of whether you are a journalist or not, take charge of the world at your fingertips.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_chloemueller and via email: Chloe Mueller.

For more opinions, read COLUMN: Presidential candidates depict political unrest.