Health Nut: Home Grown Goodness

Home grown herbs are a flavorful addition to any meal and save money in the long run.
    [/media-credit] Home grown herbs are a flavorful addition to any meal and save money in the long run.

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”– Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman Statesmen.

Last summer when the pace of life moved a bit slower, I decided to take up a bit of gardening. After a trip to Lowes I bought some plants with practical use. Thyme, basil, chives and green onions were among a few of the many herbs I bought. I then proceeded to plant them in pots on the side of our house. They created a very clean, green sort of look which drew visitors to peer out the window at them.

Once the shoots began to grow my Mom made the habit of picking a bit of thyme or chives to put on our food each day. I was absolutely amazed at how the simple addition of the fresh cut herbs made such a difference in the flavor of food.

Plain baked potatoes became irresistible with a pinch of chives. German Thyme added a savory hint to a bowl of tomatoes soup.  Just thinking about it makes me hungry.

Below are some of the benefits as well as a few difficulties of home grown produce.

Benefits

Firstly, home grown produce saves money in the long run if the plant is taken care of properly and continues to yield a crop.  Why spend $1.50 on a wilted bushel of basil from the supermarket when you could buy a never-ending supply for roughly the same price.

Many herbs also contain essential nutrients best obtained fresh from the source. Researchers believe home grown fruits, vegetables and herbs contain more nutrients than their mass produced counterparts. This seems logical since commercial produce often undergoes genetic modification to grow faster, fend against pests and maintain a longer shelf life. Though these products still contain high health benefits their more natural alternative posses the upper hand.

In addition, produce picked from one’s garden is much fresher than the items on the supermarket shelf. Often times these fruits, vegetables and herbs travel hundreds even thousands of miles before they find their way to your plate.

“Those bright red bell peppers or crisp green beans at the supermarket are likely to have traveled many miles over several days before landing in your cart. Although both the vegetables are a good source of vitamin C—known for bolstering the immune system—a long journey from farm to table gives the nutrient ample opportunity to degrade, especially if exposed to heat.” –Medical News Today

When there’s fresh produce just outside your door there is also a greater chance that it ends up in your diet on a regular basis. Every time you look out the window you will be inspired to add a bit more greenery to your meal.

Besides health and finance benefits,  growing things is fun for some people. Personally, I don’t have much of a green thumb but I love watching the process. Home growing produce provides an opportunity to be healthy and have fun with it too.

Things to look out for

The right environment

Be aware of the sorts of pest prone to devour each type of plant and guard against them with protective and humane measures.
    [/media-credit] Be aware of the sorts of pest prone to devour each type of plant and guard against them with protective and humane measures.

As mentioned before, home grown produce will not save money if the owner of the plant allows it to die after a week. Unfortunately this has some to do with how much time and effort the owner is willing to put into the garden. If you are willing to provide a proper environment, the plants will grow and pay for themselves within a short amount of time.

Seasons

Another factor to be aware of is winter. Most herbs will die in the cold (though brief) Fresno winter. This can be prevented by bringing them inside. However, herbs are generally cheap and can be replaced at very little cost in the spring. As a rule, be aware of what plants will safely endure the weather and which need the extra protection.

Pests

If you think a fruit, vegetable or herb is yummy than there is a good chance that something else does too. Even if you’re not too crazy about the plant, most of these edible sorts attract pests. Everything from fruit flies, to mice, to the neighbor’s cat may very well be interested in your garden.

Pest can be deterred in multiple ways. I recommend the most humane methods possible (especially if it’s your neighbor’s cat you’re dealing with). Before purchasing these plants research which pest to be aware of and prevent against them.

I highly encourage you to consider home grown plants. Now a day stores have “do it yourself” starter kits that require little maintenance. Not only is growing your own produce healthier but it can also be a fun and rewarding activity. Make sure you know what you are getting into before hand and then get out there and plant!

The choice is yours. Will you be nutty about health?

For last week’s installment read Health Nut: Chocolate! The health benefits of cocoa.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee and via Email: Skyler Lee