Dr. Klassen provides aid to Bellezza’s upcoming adjudication

Dr. Roy Klassen returns to campus, lends an ear to ladies ensemble

20160302-fc-klassen-002
[/media-credit] Dr. Roy Klassen, music director at Fresno Pacific, visited the ladies ensemble to share tips and tricks, Feb. 29.

Dr. Roy Klassen, retired music director from Fresno Pacific University, paid Bellezza ensemble a visit during their fifth period class, Feb. 29. Klassen was invited by former choir student, and Fresno Christian music director Susan Ainley. She has kept in touch with him since graduating college.

Klassen worked with the ladies on their tone and diction. She specifically invited him to prepare the girls for their upcoming festival at Cal Poly, March 6-7, and Carnegie Hall in New York City, in April.

Ainley remarks on Klassen’s talents and knew they would help improve the ensemble’s talents.

“He has a very gifted ear,” Ainley said. “He is able to hear things I cannot. Their songs are very difficult and we are getting ready to sing in front of a bunch of people so he came to help them so they can be even better.”

Ainley admits that his enthusiasm and teaching style encouraged her to begin teaching music.

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/249576386″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

“He has remained a friend of mine throughout the years,” Ainley said. “He is really the reason why I became a choir teacher. He inspired me so much”

During the class, the ensemble worked on two pieces, “Luz Aeterna” and “Heaven Bound Train.” They will be singing the chosen songs for the Cal Poly Choir Festival, March 7 in San Luis Obispo. The group will be adjudicated, and given a rating among the other choirs that perform.

Junior Katy Blankenship shares her gratitude for Klassen, and how his aid will prove to be better as the time for festivals start.

20160302-fc-klassen-001
[/media-credit] Dr. Klassen supported Belleza, offering aid before their upcoming competition season.

“I thought he was a great conductor,” Blankenship said. “It was really interesting to see another person’s point of view and very helpful to hear his recommendations he had for each song.”

Mr. Howard Swan, deceased, initiated Klassen into music. He owes his effort and success to Swan.

“There was a man in Los Angeles from Occidental College, Dr. Howard Swan. He was the one that really got me into choral music. I owe him a lot.”

Klassen began teaching at Fresno Pacific University 33 years ago. He is now retired. This is his last year conducting the San Joaquin Chorale, which he founded himself.

Ensemble will be traveling to New York City to perform at Carnegie Hall, April 25 to May 2.

This writer can be reach via Twitter @nhudecek16 or via email at Nicole Hudecek.

For more features, read Alexis Kalugin nominated for the CSF Seymour Award.