Strolling with Stobbe Day 1

One of the first things The Feather Staffers did in New York was to pause to take in  Times Square and take a group photo.
    One of the first things The Feather Staffers did in New York was to pause to take in Times Square and take a group photo.
    [/media-credit] One of the first things The Feather staffers did in New York was to pause to take in Times Square and take a group photo.

March 13

Strolling with Stobbe will follow the movements of The Feather students on their trip to New York. Every blog I will share the steps, stairs, miles and calories recorded on my fitbit charge for that day, as well as the good, the bad and the ugly of New York food from a healthy perspective. Finally, I will provide insight into the craziest moments of the day straight from the mouths of Feather staffers.

I woke up to the murmur of the plane engine and the distant shapes of an early morning New York far below. Despite, the drowsiness and the unfortunate kink in my neck it started to become more real to me that I was about to step foot into the glamorous, bustling Big Apple.

The first day of Feather sightseeing involved excessive walking. We visited everything from the Chelsea Marketplace to the Flatiron building to Turner Central Park Wollman Rink.

At one point towards the middle of the day staffers stopped to explore the Eataly marketplace, the largest Italian market in the world. While I myself did enjoy the numerous displays of Italian cuisine, I and my friend Emily Ladd, ’16, decided to check out the Lego Store next door as well.

Here we found a stunning array of novelty Lego sets and life sized statutes composed completely of the multicolored bricks. While I enjoyed the Italian cuisine (especially all of the hand spun pasta) at Eataly, I found the massive Lego statues  a bit more interesting at the moment.

Staffers finished their day with a trip to The Plaza Hotel, where they viewed the ornate lobby and corridors of the historic building.  The plaza contains a picture and portion of the hall dedicated to one of its most famous residents, Eloise the rambunctious child book character.  I found this part especially fun because it departed from the itinerary and came as a refreshing piece of spontaneity.

The vital statistics as of 9:45 p.m. are as follows:

Steps: 23,561

Stairs: 20

Miles: 9.09

Calories: 2,292

Of course my statistics may be a little different from yours especially since my stride is probably significantly shorter than a lot of people.

As a health conscientious person, vacationing can be difficult. Where do you decide to draw the line and live a little? When are you indulging maybe a bit too much? The whole idea of eating healthy on vacation is a bit of a gray area.  

Foods I regret today

A chocolate energy bar at the airport that had way too much sugar. I really didn’t need it that much.

Feather staffers ended the day with a bit of extra exercise. They ice skated in Central Park, at one point forming a Congo line.
    [/media-credit] Feather staffers ended the day with a bit of extra exercise. They ice skated in Central Park, at one point forming a Congo line.

Foods I don’t regret today

• A pistachio donut from Doughnut Plant. It was unique, something I would probably never get to try in Fresno.
    • A pollo asado taco from Los Tacos in the Chelsea Market. Most of the ingredients were pretty healthy and it was after all a  “legendary” recipe.

What was the most…

Junior Jenny King says the most interesting part of her day was Chelsea Market because of the unique stores and home made products. She enjoyed the food from Los Tacos and the spices at the Spices and Tease. She says the whole atmosphere really captured New York culture.

The craziest thing that happened to senior Olivia Quebe today was learning how to ice skate while it was raining and while seniors Rees Roggenstein and Josh Carter were trying to tackel junior Jared Markarian.

Check back on March 15 for the second instalment of Strolling with Stobbe. Don’t forget to read more about health and fitness at my blog Health Nut.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee and via Email: Skyler Lee.  

AmyMar 15, 2016 at 9:37 pm

You guys covered some serious distance that first day! Enjoy reading about your adventures!

Silva EmerianMar 15, 2016 at 8:35 am

Hi Skyler, thanks for sharing your thoughts from one of my favorite cities – you had me at Lego! You walked a LOT on very little sleep; hope you got a good night’s rest at the end of your first day. Also, did you know Eloise was inspired by Liza Minelli? Have a great week!