Feather takes NYC: Day 2

20160314fc-NYday2-005
[/media-credit] The Feather spent its first full day in New York, which began with a trip to the 9/11 memorial and Freedom Tower.

The phone chirps its loud sound in the rooms of the Edison Hotel at 7:30 a.m. On the other end, Greg Stobbe, reminding students to be down in the lobby by 8 a.m. or else we will be left behind. The wet and dreary weather reflected in the eyes of the students as they began their trek into the city. Students and advisers arrived in the lobby, ready to march on New York City and its masses.

After a metro ride down to the World Trade Center, the journalism crew exited the subway with little resistance. Coming up from the NY tunnels the team found themselves with a sight of the Freedom Tower, standing tall above NY. As the group approached the tower the group was distracted by two empty pits with waterfalls, in honor of the Twin Towers. Soon Kori Friesen guided us to our next stop at the 9/11 Memorial. We got our tickets and were checked into the building. As we walked deeper into the Memorial emotions as a group and as Americans began to flow.

Co-Editor-in-Chief Joshua Carter is grateful for the museum and how it reminds visitors of the horrors of the past.

“The 9/11 memorial is definitely a must see for anyone visiting New York City,” Carter said. “The minds which helped create this sight have truly managed to honor and remind visitors the importance of the past. I left this sight, reminded of the horrors of the past, yet hopeful for the future as humanity continues to strive for excellence.”

After paying homage to the 9/11 Memorial the Freedom Tower was a positive change. The shiny windows blinded students and chaperones alike as they made their way to the front door. After getting tickets and passing security, the group made their way up using a rocket ship like elevator. Making its way from the 1st to the 102nd floor in a matter of seconds. The team received a warm welcome, and proceeded on to the observation deck, taking in the 360 degree view of New York City.

Nothing is beneath you, I started making 10 dollars an hour, working at 2 a.m. I literally started at the bottom now I’m here. When you know what you want to do be vocal about it with everyone you meet. No one will give you a promotion if you aren’t vocal about what you want to do. — Ashley Taylor

After this long excursion, the team took a lunch break at various locations around freedom tower. Jayden Ventura, ’18, stopped by Steve’s, a local pizza and sandwich place to enjoy a classic New York slice.

“I decided to stop by Steve’s because I could smell pizza from the street.” Ventura said. “When I walked inside the air was thick with the smell of pizza. I got two slices, one pepperoni and one Hawaiian. The crust was really soft and doughy, and the pizza tasted amazing. I highly recommend this location.”

After a quick bite to eat, the team rendezvoused at Trinity Church, admiring the beautiful stain glass windows and artwork covering this ancient building. All the while, rain descended upon these weary yet excited travellers. The last and final stop on the list for the afternoon was to take on the southern portion of the island. Visiting the New York stock exchange, Battery park, and lastly admiring the all American, Statue of Liberty.

20160314fc-NYday2-022
[/media-credit] To end the day, staffers were given a tour of the Fox News New York headquarters, where they visited professional sets and spoke with reporters.

The students headed back to the hotel to take a rest then have dinner and head off to the Fox Studio headquarters not to far from Times Square. Upon arrival at Fox Studios the team was greeted by Ashley Taylor, a producer for Fox. While going through the tour, Fox news anchor, Megyn Kelly, most of the team was in awe by the beauty of Kelly but then, James Whelan, Fox News Floor Director, was kind enough to take us onto Megyn Kelly and Shepherd Smith’s studio’s. The team felt a need to sit down onto the host’s chairs and pretend like they were hosting the news for all of NY to see. A hope arose for Fresno’s journalism team after experiencing a world class news outlet. Ashley Taylor then shared her testimony with Feather staffers about how she came into her position today.

“Nothing is beneath you, I started making 10 dollars an hour, working at 2 a.m. I literally started at the bottom now I’m here. When you know what you want to do be vocal about it with everyone you meet.” Taylor said. “No one will give you a promotion if you aren’t vocal about what you want to do.”

The other tour guide/ Floor Director, James Whelan, gave us a behind the scenes tour of Fox studio’s. He then gave his own testimony as well on what he does and how to have a good show.

“Essentially I run the studio but the real thing is keep the talent comfortable, like keep the camera people in place, guests are in the proper places on set. If the talents aren’t comfortable with the show then it won’t be a good show.”

[rev_slider alias=”NYC Day 2″]

For more about the Feather in NYC, read Feather takes NYC: Day 1.