Strolling with Stobbe Day 2

Feather staffers added a few extra steps to their day when they played wiffle ball in MLB network studio 42
    Feather staffers explored the American Museum of Natural History where the 2006 film "Night at the Museum" was based off of.
    [/media-credit] Feather staffers explored the American Museum of Natural History. The 2006 film “Night at the Museum” was based off of this location.

March 15

Strolling with Stobbe will follow the movements of The Feather students on their trip to New York. Every blog I will share the steps, stairs, miles and calories recorded on my fitbit charge for that day,  as well as the good, the bad and the ugly of New York food from a healthy perspective. Finally, I will provide insight into the craziest moments of the day.

Though still exhausted from the rush of the last few days, I woke up this morning feeling slightly more rested. I learned that the secret to getting sleep during this trip is to finish all work quickly and then try to fall asleep as soon as possible. This can be difficult if you get chatty at night or can’t sleep due to the street noise. So far I’m not doing very well at it.

Today we explored the American Museum of Natural History for a few hours. It was especially cool to take a picture next to the iconic Maoi statue featured in “Night at the Museum.”

Next we grabbed a quick bite to eat at the Shake Shack and made our way to MLB network headquarters where we received a once- in-a-lifetime tour of the facilities. I cannot express my gratitude enough to Jane Quebe and The Feather advisers for setting this event up. Staffers even added a few steps to their daily average by playing wiffle ball in studio 42.

We finished our day off with the 2015 Broadway production of “Something Rotten” and dessert at Juniors, a local restaurant famous for their cheese cake.

The vital statics today will be recorded on Emily Ladd’s fitbit  because mine is undergoing some technical difficulties at this point in the trip.

Steps: 15,450

Miles: 6.48

Calories: 2,267

Stairs: 27

Let it be noted that most of the foods on my “do not regret” list are very unhealthy foods. The reason I do not regret them is because they were unique and generally not consumed in excess. Being healthy does not mean turning down the opportunity to be adventurous and try something new.

Foods I do not regret

•  Hamburger at Shake Shack- I had never eaten a hamburger at the Shake Shack and will probably not get the chance to eat another one for a very long time.
    • Milk shake and Shake Shack- The shake was literally in the name and was quite frankly unique and very much worth the extra caloric intake.
    [/media-credit] Feather staffers added a few extra steps to their day when they played wiffle ball in MLB network studio 42.

Foods I regret

• Black and White Cookie at Juniors- There was nothing really special about this dessert. I simply chose it because I was rushed to order and it sounded fairly safe. I could have purchased the cookie anywhere making it pretty common place. It was also too sweet and doughy. All around it was not a wise decision.
    • Grilled Cheese Sandwich at Juniors- A salad would probably have been a better choice. There was nothing really special about the sandwich at all.

The Craziest Moment

For me the craziest moment of the day was when our elevator told us to step out because there was a fire. It was only a test but for the moment everyone in the elevator was a bit taken aback.  After we stepped out and recovered from our initial shock, we groaned at the idea of having to walk up 18 flights of stairs. Thankfully the staff quickly got the elevators working again.

Check back on March 18 for the third installment of Strolling with Stobbe. Don’t forget to read more about health and fitness at my blog Health Nut.

For the previous Strolling with Stobbe read Strolling with Stobbe Day 1.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee and via Email: Skyler Lee.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather, Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline.