COLUMN: Composing final memories, preparing to part ways

20160316fc-NYday4-007
[/media-credit] The Feather staff made their way to Columbia University for their first day of lectures, March 16.

After several days of seeing the sights, the time had finally arrived for staffers to begin the academic portion of their week. By 7:45 a.m., the group gathered in the lobby to head for their first day at Columbia University, Wed., March 16.

The team caught a subway train, which led us to the CSPA Spring Convention. When we arrived at our destination, I was greeted by the familiar entrance to Columbia’s campus. Although this was my third consecutive year attending the conference, I felt an immediate surge of excitement upon stepping foot on the grounds.

As we signed in we were greeted with a lieu of name tags and brochures, which triggered a sense of deja-vu. However, this year, I was surrounded with an almost completely new ensemble of staffers. Watching the thrill — and slight nerves — of the moment encapsulate the younger staffers gave me an entirely new perspective on the event.

The Feather stayed at the conference for the duration of three sessions, only breaking for lunch. In the morning, I attended a class titled “Entitled to Your Own Opinion Article,” which provided in-depth coverage on the art of editorial and column writing.

The seminar was led by Sarah Phillips and Henry Youtt, leaders of Liberty High School‘s online publication, Wingspan. The duo presented the various elements of column and editorial writing, and explained how to differentiate opinion and news pieces.

Listening to the workshop, I reflected on my own skills. I, personally, have never considered myself an avid columnist. However, the concept began to intrigue me. Maybe I should have worked more on opinions pieces over the years. I’m graduating in a couple of months, is it too late? 

There is always a silver lining. As I go through the week, I make a point to remember every moment. Every joke, every laugh and every serious note we share — I must absorb it all. While the Feather staff is making its small mark on the city, it is constantly shaping and creating some of my best memories. — Chloe Mueller

Suddenly, I was swimming in my own thoughts, overwhelmed by the looming future. Is my journalism career over? What will I do in college? As I sat and overthought my situation, a foreign phenomenon overcame me; I actually might miss these high school days. Graduating might not be entirely exciting and rejuvenating. I might be frightened to leave this place.

After the class ended, I came back to my senses. I decided to enjoy my time as I meandered through Columbia’s vast, beautiful campus.

Later in the afternoon, I stopped by to attend our photojournalism team give their first-ever presentation on using “images as hooks.” Majority of the Feather members showed up to support our photographers. The unity of the moment struck me, and reminded me how far our team has come since the beginning of the school year. Our writers and photographers, once unsure of their roles and relationships, have consolidated for one communal goal.

Although I have been in the city many times, and gone through the motions time and time again, it is always a unique experience. This year, I cannot help but feel microscopically melancholy at the realization that this is it. My days catching the subway and roaming around Columbia with the team are coming to a gradual close.

Senior Chloe Mueller reflects on visiting New York with the Feather staff for her final time, lending her an altered perspective.

I attend the sessions and admire these small moments, knowing that they are some of my last with the staff. Soon, I will be graduating and handing over my role to the younger members. In several weeks, I will begin transferring the sum of my knowledge to the rising sophomores and juniors. While I can do so in confidence, it is not without slight wistfulness.

Yet, there is always a silver lining. As I go through the week, I make a point to remember every moment. Every joke, every laugh and every serious note we share — I must absorb it all. While the Feather staff is making its small mark on the city, it is constantly shaping and creating some of my best memories.

Feather takes NYC 2016, No. 4 from The Feather Online on Vimeo.

For for coverage of the week, read COLUMN: Larger cities change perspectives, values and Feather takes NYC: Day 3.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_Chloemueller and via email: Chloe Mueller.