COLUMN: Assume responsibility, ownership of actions

20160317fc-NYday5-016
[/media-credit] Any successful journalism team must be built on an intricate system of hard work and responsibility.

Our history is what drives the future. Our past mistakes, define who we are, and how we tackle the future. As we look in retrospect to our time spent working on our school newspapers, we realize that all of our hard work has finally come to an accumulation. All of our mistakes and accomplishments will finally be recognized by another source other than from within the school.

As we look back on our year, I believe a major key to arriving at success, is learning to own your paper. This concept is the priority to any excellent journalism team, either the staff learns to recognize that the newspaper is their own, or they see it as their advisors or predecessors. If we look at all of our hard work as belonging to someone else, then why do we do it? There will be no purpose behind it, which will then lead to a lack of determination and perseverance. Without these two traits, a team is incapable of achieving greatness and instead will lead to failure.

The past allows us to recognize problems which we have already faced, and make the most informed decision possible. As said by Edmund Burke, “Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it.” A paper is only as good as the team behind it. The staff needs to decide whether or not to make what they write their own. In doing this, the problems of determination and perseverance will cease to exist.

One of the purposes of journalism in high school is to raise leaders and journalists who will own up to their actions no matter the consequences. These people are leaders within the school, and have the possibility of becoming far greater as they traverse the rest of life. Our experiences are what teach us to aspire for greater things. — Joshua Carter

Now let us focus upon the word “ownership.” What does it mean in the context of journalism? How do we apply it to looking back upon our mistakes and accomplishments? Ownership within the contexts of a job is meant to take on responsibility. This is part of the goal which journalism staffs should have. Teams should make it a goal to raise up students to take the full responsibility of their position. When hardships or mistakes are made, we must own up to what has been done. There is no blaming it on others, or making excuses, there is only the ability to humble yourself and allow ones pride to be lowered.

20160317fc-NYday5-014
[/media-credit] Each individual must tap into what inspires them to work hard; everyone needs a source of motivation.

To all first year journalists, our advisor gives them a set of rules and guidelines to follow. One of the major points in this list is to leave your ego at the door of the journalism lab. What he means by this is that, in the lab, be willing to take responsibility of mistakes, and own up to them. Otherwise you are hiding behind the coattails of greater men and women.

One of the purposes of journalism in high school is to raise leaders and journalists who will own up to their actions no matter the consequences. These people are leaders within the school, and have the possibility of becoming far greater as they traverse the rest of life. Our experiences are what teach us to aspire for greater things. If this is the case, then every time someone takes a misstep, we are given the chance to better ourselves.

However spring is near, the award ceremonies draw ever closer, and now we ask ourselves, “what drove us to give our best?” I would encourage everyone to take a step back, and realize that those who succeeded decided to push through the hardship and difficulties. They owned their newspapers, took responsibility for their actions, learned from their mistakes and left their ego at the door. I encourage you to own your newspaper, as I continue to take responsibility for my actions, and own my newspaper.

For more opinions, read COLUMN: Composing final memories, preparing to part ways.

For more coverage of the Feather in New York, read Feather takes NYC: Day 4.