Mexican restaurant delivers ambience, lacks authenticity

20160317fc-NYday5-005
[/media-credit] A small group of staffers chose Sombreros as their restaurant of choice, March 17. Tyler Breedlove, ’16, ordered the chicken burrito with a side of beans and rice.

Feather staff eats at Sombrero Restaurant in Hell’s Kitchen

When you hear New York you think of packed subway stations, bright yellow taxis and glamorous Broadway plays. Mexican food is rarely brought up when talking about New York. Down the street from the Hotel Edison where we are staying, we stopped at a Mexican restaurant named Sombrero Restaurant on 48th street.

Sombrero was small in size and it was packed full of hungry people wearing green due to St. Patricks Day. The restaurant had very vibrant colors as their theme of red and green showered the walls. Luckily, we had no wait and got seated right away.

The prices were a little expensive, but in New York that is rather typical. A chicken burrito cost $19, steak tacos were $23, beef fajitas were $25; majority of the items were pretty pricey. I ordered the chicken burrito and expected a small burrito that lacked flavor and authenticity.

I thought that the Mexican food was really good. It took awhile to come out, and I had to ask three times for a drink. If people don’t mind a wait and subpar service for good food I’d say this place is okay. –Rees Roggenstein

To my surprise the burrito was very large and looked delicious. It contained grilled chicken, salsa, sour cream, cheese, beans and rice. The dish was accompanied by a side of beans and rice. However, compared to the west coast, its authenticity lacked.

Phillip Christopher, ’17, enjoyed the ambience the restaurant offered but felt the food was lacking.

“I thought that the Mexican restaurant was cool,” Christopher said. “I liked the dim lighting and calm atmosphere. I was not a huge fan of the food. I had chicken fajitas and I thought they lacked flavor and seasoning.”

Opinions on Sombrero’s quality of food varied as Rees Roggenstein, ’16, was pleased with his food, however disappointed with the service.

“I thought that the Mexican food was really good,” Roggenstein said. “It took awhile to come out, and I had to ask three times for a drink. If people don’t mind a wait and subpar service for good food I’d say this place is okay.”

On the other hand, Nathan Mount, ’18, found the service above average and the restaurant well-kept.

“Sombreros Mexican restaurant was a really good and very clean gourmet restaurant,” Mount said. “When I first walked in it was a very warm and comforting environment. We sat down and instantly were asked what we’d like to drink. The service was very fast and very polite. I would recommend it to anyone who likes good Mexican food.”

After a long day of walking around New York, Sombrero was able to satisfy the hunger of the staffers. Overall, the group enjoyed the atmosphere the restaurant provided, however there were mixed emotions when it came to the quality of service and food.

[rwp-review id=”0″]

For more on the New York trip, please read Feather takes NYC: Day 5

For the previous food review, please read Mother Mary’s provides attentive service, hearty dishes.