Authentic Italian deli, Milano Market provides unique flavors

20160318milano-deli-001
[/media-credit] Milano Market, a small Italian-themed gourmet sandwich deli and market is known for their fresh and huge sandwiches.

New York has a variety of food genres that thousands of people go to each day. Depending on the restaurant, they all have their own entity of how they run their business. Milano Market, a small Italian-themed gourmet sandwich deli and market is known for their fresh and huge sandwiches. 

Milano Market has been open since 1982, as a family business and has continued to remain one ever since. They named the Market after what they thought was the most beautiful city in the world next to New York City which is the city Milano, located in Lombardy, Italy. It features Gourmet Italian foods held at the sandwich line along with a market where everyday grocery items can be bought. It is located at 2892 Broadway.

When coming into the restaurant you’ll notice no seating, a very small area for the sandwich line and a bigger area for the grocery section. Most of the traffic will be crowded at the sandwich line where you can order various Italian dishes and sandwiches. This setup presents a small takeout deli feeling and provides customers with the mindset that they can grab their food on the go.

There are two different menus, menu one and two, they each bring along a broad selection of foods such as meats chickens, and pastas. Also different types of rices, fish, and their most famous signature dish sandwiches. If going for your first time, without any suggestions, you’ll have a tough time figuring out what to order.

Timothy Nyberg, a senior at FC speaks about his first experience at The Milano Market.

“Milano Market is a small deli/market packed with delicious and authentic food,” Nyberg said.”The sandwiches had great flavor and fresh ingredients. The store is clean and offers an array of options other than their signature sandwiches. The Italian workers yelled the orders the entire time creating an atmosphere of noise and business. Overall the food is good, but I wish to go back multiple times to try more options.”

As I walked into the restaurant, the first thing I noticed was the lively and jam-packed quarters. It was hard to see where the line even started. The sandwich line was the most crowded spot, but the food looked delicious and authentic and there were a huge amount of choices. I got the Veal Parmigiano. It was unlike any other sandwich I have had out of anywhere I’ve been to, with its fresh chicken and the fact that it wasn’t given to me cold, I loved it. — Jarrod Markarian

With it being my first time there, I had no idea where to begin with ordering. My friends didn’t know what to get either so a worker recommended to us to get the Veal Parmigiano hot sandwich that is $10.50. Not really eating Italian cuisine a lot, I was doubting that I would end up enjoying it. As we found somewhere to eat I opened up the wrapping and found one of the biggest, juiciest, and messiest sandwiches. Hot steam filled with an amazing smell rose to my nose, and I knew it was going to be delicious.

The Veal Parmigiano is a garlic bread, grilled chicken sandwich with mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce. Since it was our first time at the market most of us ordered that and enjoyed the Italian ambiance.

20160318milano-deli-002
[/media-credit] Overall I enjoyed The Milano Market mostly because of the fresh and authentic food but also because of the fantastic service that was provided to my friends and I.

But not everyone enjoys having a crowded environment and loud workers yelling for orders. Jarrod Markarian, ’17, enjoyed seeing a welcoming Italian environment with fresh foods available but disliked the small and cramped spaces.

“As I walked into the restaurant, the first thing I noticed was the lively and jam-packed quarters,” Markarian said. “It was hard to see where the line even started. The sandwich line was the most crowded spot, but the food looked delicious and authentic and there were a huge amount of choices. I got the Veal Parmigiano. It was unlike any other sandwich I have had out of anywhere I’ve been to, with its fresh chicken and the fact that it wasn’t given to me cold, I loved it.”

Overall I enjoyed The Milano Market mostly because of the fresh and authentic food but also because of the fantastic service that was provided to my friends and I. The only thing that was a little bad about the Market was the limited space and crowded environment. Other than the jam-packed setting I was extremely pleased with eating there and would recommend it to anyone who wants a quick meal and some authentic Italian cuisine.

Open Monday-Sunday from 6:00 A.M to 11:00 P.M.

For more food review articles look at Family-owned restaurant provides quality food, service.

You can reach this writer via Twitter: nate10messi1 and via email: [email protected]