WRAP-UP: Feather earns CSPA Gold Crown

20160318feather-day6-007
[/media-credit] For the fourth consecutive year, The Feather Online merited the CSPA Gold Crown at the Spring Convention, March 18.

Bittersweet end to school year, Feather legacy continues

CORRECTION UPDATE: March 30, 2016

The Feather incorrectly indicated that it has earned five CSPA Gold Crowns since 2010. The actual number is six (2010-11 and 2013-2016).

After a week of waiting, the evening of anticipation arrived. The final day of attending sessions at the 92nd Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s (CSPA) conference ended, and the famed award ceremony began. After 3 o’clock, The Feather team met up and headed to the main conference room.

The room was bubbling with young journalists, all eager to hear their ranking. The Feather staffers prepared themselves; the silent question hanging in the air: will we take home a Silver or a Gold Crown?

After a year of deadlines and afternoons spent in the journalism lab, it was finally our time to see how our work payed off. The 16 staffers, accompanied by their advisers and chaperones, lined two rows, waiting for the results.

When The Feather’s name appeared on the projector, there was a split second of hesitation. Then, it was announced. The Feather Online merited a CSPA Gold Crown award. Smiles ensued down the row of Feather staffers.

After several photo-ops and subway rides, the crew went to a dinner to celebrate. This was one of the few dinners that every staff member attended. The group of 20 headed to Mercury restaurant, which provided a boisterous atmosphere, fitting for the mood of the day.

Another year of competing is over. As we pack our bags and set our alarms, there is a sense of finality hanging over the staff. For some, this marks the beginning of an exciting journey with the Feather. For others, this is a bittersweet goodbye. For all, something has changed. — Chloe Mueller

There was a sense of unity in the air, as the staffers chatted over their plates of pizza and hamburgers. Staffers recounted the week, exchanging stories and sentimental memories. The laughter shared at the table marked the final night of the trip in a beautiful fashion.

The night ended in a toast to our staffers and advisers, and to the satisfaction of hard work paying off. The sound of glasses clinking pierced the air, lulling our final New York dinner to a smooth end. We soon left the Mercury and made our way to the streets, absorbing our final night beneath the dazzling high line.

Another year of competing is over. As we pack our bags and set our alarms, there is a sense of finality hanging over the staff. For some, this marks the beginning of an exciting journey with the Feather. For others, this is a bittersweet goodbye. For all, something has changed.

As we board our plane and return to our homes, we can rest assured, knowing we’ve all contributed to something bigger than us. A new bond ties together the Feather staff, a bond which motivates the students to continuously give their best effort. The staff has earned its place amongst the best: The Feather has earned five CSPA Gold and two Silver Crowns since 2010.

20160318feather-day6-010
[/media-credit] Staffers concluded their trip with a dinner at Mercury’s, where they celebrated their win, and toasted to their year spent together.

Next Monday, we will return to our classes; someone will hang the Gold Crown plaque on the wall. The plaque is appealing; our publication name carved into a golden plate. Yet, after awhile, the glimmering awards become mere decorations. It lies on a wall, amongst a multitude of similar items.

While the Feather staff is immensely grateful to be nominated for such an award, let alone take home the prize, we must remember where importance lies. We have inspired a school and staff to work harder, we have ignited a flame. However, the true value lies in the memories we have made and the bonds we have formed.

In 50 years, I do not know where the beloved plaque will lie. My cherished journalism lab may be gone, the awards collecting dust. Yet, I can never lose my memories. These small collection of moments will stay with me forever. The Feather staff has left a legacy that will endure in my heart for years to come.

Feather takes NYC 2016, No. 6 from The Feather Online on Vimeo.

[rev_slider alias=”NY DAY 6″]

For more about the Feather in New York, read COLUMN: Assume responsibility, ownership of actions.

For more about the CSPA, read CSPA honors Feather with Gold Medal Critique.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_Chloemueller and via email: Chloe Mueller.