Seniors to sell homemade products at Econ Fair, March 31

20160331-econfair-001
[/media-credit] On March 31, senior economics students will be hosting the annual “Econ Fair” in the FC gym during lunch.

The annual Economics Fair is set for Thurs., March 31. Economics Fair is the opportunity for Fresno Christian economics students to put their knowledge of the subject to use through selling and advertising handmade products. Throughout the week, students have been advertising their products by posting flyers around the school.

Economics teacher Robert Foshee introduced Econ Fair during his first year, getting the idea from his college business administration class. From his own experience, he wanted his students to experience taking risks and learn certain tasks such as budgeting and marketing.

“From buying supplies and knowing what it costs, students are figuring out how to match their revenue to their costs,” Foshee said. “They’re also learning if their advertisements will make them profits and how to adjust if they’re losing money. It then becomes a lot more meaningful than looking at a book and memorizing terms.”

Last year, changes were made to the economics class to amend it as a seniors-only class. While it has benefits, such as smaller class sizes, some seniors, such as Ethan Andrew, find it inconsistent with their current workload.

It’s kind of hard to do Econ Fair while being a senior. It’s stressful to get our final products together while I’m having to do finish another project that’s due the same day, and also preparing myself for future events. I wish I had taken it last year as a junior. — Ethan Andrew

“It’s kind of hard to do Econ Fair while being a senior,” Andrew said. “It’s stressful to get our final products together while I’m having to do finish another project that’s due the same day, and also preparing myself for future events. I wish I had taken it last year as a junior.”

Andrew is selling marbled mugs with fellow senior Nicole Hudecek for $3-4. His group has advertised frequently on social media and school, in hopes to make a large profit on the day of the fair. Andrew also believes his product will stand out from other booths.

“Basically, we take a mug and dip it into different colors of nail polish which creates a cool marble effect on the mug,” Andrew said. “I think we have a good chance of making a good amount of money with our product. Most of the other groups are selling edible products, and ours will last over a period of time and be worth the small price.”

20160331-econfair-003.jpg
[/media-credit] Students will be making a variety of products, from sundaes to cotton candy to customized mugs.

Kylie Bell, ’16, is selling “Kopa’a Kotton” with partner Timothy Nyberg. Five different Hawaiian cotton candy options will be included on the group’s menu for $4. Bell predicts that the day may be challenging, but rewarding overall.

“I’m actually going to be alone for the day of Econ Fair because my partner will be out of town,” Bell said. “However, I’m looking forward to figuring out how to manage it all on my own. We have made the cotton candy flavors on our own and usually cotton candy only comes in two flavors: blue or pink. Our different flavors are coconut, mango, passion fruit, sea salt caramel and watermelon, so we definitely have a unique product; I’m excited to share it with everyone.”

For more information on Economics Fair, contact teacher Rob Foshee via email here.

Follow Kopa’a Kotton and Marbled Mugs on Instagram: @kopaa_kotton and @get.mugged.