BRIEF: Annual Career Fair to take place Fri., April 15

CareerDaypromo
[/media-credit] Annually, career day takes place on campus to provide information to students about job opportunities after high school. This year, the event took place on Fri., April 15.

The fifth annual career fair will take place Friday, April 15. ASVAB, a career exploration program, results will be distributed April 11, giving students a chance to explore future employment opportunities with guest speakers on Friday.

12 guest speakers will arrive Friday featuring an attorney, firefighter, an interior designer, media director, non-profit coordinator and several others. Students were given an option to pick the three that stood out most to them.

Academic Advisor, Michelle Warkentin, lists the reason for the college fair and how she believes it benefits students’ career explorations.
“The reason we conduct the career fair every year is to get students thinking about their future,” Warkentin said. “By offering this opportunity every year of high school students can begin thinking about future careers that may be of interest to them so they at least know which major they would like to pursue. By bringing these professionals to our campus students can learn what the day to day responsibilities of the job are, projected outlook for job opportunities, yearly salary.”

Freshman Tatiana Iest is attending her first career fair at Fresno Christian. She looks forward to hearing the information and experience the speakers will share to have a taste of what she will be experiencing personally.

“I signed up for the business adviser, media director, and attorney,” Iest said. “I chose the attorney because I’m planning to have a career in law. Throughout the career fair, I’m hoping to figure out what it feels like to have a career and how it will prepare me for the real world.”

Career1
[/media-credit] This year’s line-up includes a wide range of occupations, including a firefighter, an interior designer and a media director.

Junior Jeremiah Sieperda can not remember all the specific careers he chose, but hopes that in the future one will stand out and interest him.

“I am going to the business advisor, attorney, and I forget the other one,” Sieperda said. “I hope that I find out something interesting about one of those careers so I can possibly pursue it in the future.”

Students’ classes will be set on half-day schedule, and after lunch attend the career seminars.

Be sure to read Warkentin’s April 8 article, College Corner: Career Exploration.

This writer can be reached via email at Nicole Hudecek or via Twitter @nhudecek16.