Breedlove nominated for outstanding athlete, scholarship

04112016-Allison-Breedlove-student-athlete-002
[/media-credit] Senior Allison Breedlove was nominated to attend the 35th annual Junior League of Fresno outstanding athlete banquet.

Another year of Senior Girl Athlete awards has arrived and this year’s nominee from FC is Allison Breedlove. The Junior League of Fresno is celebrating its 35th annual ceremony for athletes who are outstanding in sports, academics and with community involvement. Across the San Joaquin Valley, the banquet will honor female athletes from 22 local high schools.

Each girl nominated will be recognized for her involvement in several sports and community service. With each nominee a medallion and scholarship will be awarded in the memory of Junior League Member and Senior Girl Athlete supporter, Dorothy Rolfing.

Although there are 22 girls nominated, the grand prize winner will receive an additional scholarship for the Senior Girl Athlete of the Year award. The winner has to qualify as an outstanding athlete and will complete an essay that demonstrates their engagement in athletics, community service and academics.

For those nominated only one girl is sent from each school. After a diligent search with the athletics department and Michelle Warkentin, Allie Breedlove was selected as this year’s nominee.

“I contacted Mick Fuller and Jonathan Penberthy to get their opinions as well and we limited it down to just a few athletes,” Warkentin said. “We felt as though Allie Breedlove represented good character, academics and athletics; she kind of had the whole package. Not only is she an athlete but a friend to everyone on campus and is super encouraging.”

We felt as though Alli Breedlove represented good character, academics and athletics; she kind of had the whole package. Not only is she an athlete but a friend to everyone on campus and is super encouraging. — Michelle Warkentin

As a nominee, Allison Breedlove was thankful for the opportunity to be nominated to represent as junior athlete for FC.

“I was a little surprised that I was honored for it because only 20 girls are nominated,” Breedlove said. “Although I didn’t know much about the organization I was still honored to be nominated. I play in cheer and softball and I have been since freshman year.”

The banquet is held at Wedgewood Banquet Center on April 11 at 6 p.m. For more information and details of the event go to Junior League of Fresno.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @jennypenny8835 and via Email: Jenny King.

For more sports articles, please read, Maddie Luginbill leads softball team with positivity, encouragement.