Associated Student Body elections return, April 28

04182016-Leadership-001
[/media-credit] Associated Student Body (ASB) will be holding elections for leadership positions, April 28.

Associated Student Body (ASB) will be holding elections for leadership positions, April 28. Applications for positions President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Events Coordinator were available with Vickey Belmont in the high school office. Applications were due April 15.

In order to qualify for the President and Vice-President positions, students must be a junior or senior with a 3.0 G.P.A. or higher. The positions require specific rules and tasks the role will consist of. Each application will have specific guidelines as to job requirements.

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible to run for Secretary. Any junior or senior is eligible to run for Events Coordinator. Both roles must have a student with a G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher.

ASB officers take part in planning on campus events such as Spring Formal, Homecoming, Sadies, rallies, etc. Their helping hand extends outside the Fresno Christian community as well, helping families, or fundraising for different campaigns.

Leadership teacher Robert Foshee explains what he looks for in a potential ASB candidate. The roles draw out a lot of work, which requires someone who is dedicated and has a servant’s heart.

“I think the first aspect of a great leader is to be a good servant and to serve others,” Foshee said. “If they can learn to be a servant that takes care of all the late nights, the planning, and the different things that go on during that time, they are ready to lead.”

Activities Director, Maddie Luginbill, ’16, shares her experience in ASB and encourages those who wish to take on responsibility and plan events.

[/media-credit] Juniors Hannah Nale and Julian Castro hang up signs during 7th period leadership to support the basketball teams, Jan. 8.

“All the events we put on in our school,” Luginbill said. “That’s always my favorite part of the school year. I really enjoy helping out with that and playing a role, that way we get things done. I think people should join ASB so they can be able to feel what its like to play a big role in our school, be involved in all of our events, and be an example on campus.”

Hannah Nale, ’17, plans to run for president. She looks forward to molding the students’ attitudes for the next school year.

“I think it would be really fun,” Nale said. “Just investing into the students here at Fresno Christian. I think this school needs more motivation and I think our enthusiasm hasn’t been the greatest lately so to bring that back would be awesome. I feel like I could be a great contender to push that here at Fresno Christian. I’m still working on my ideas for the school if I were to win.”

The debate process has changed from speeches to videos. Student made videos of the candidates will be shown to the school populace during assembly. Afterwards students may vote for each position on a google survey. One vote will be given per email.

For previous ASB activity, please read BRIEF: ASB election scheduled, Aug. 28.

This writer can be reached via email Nicole Hudecek and via Twitter @nhudecek16.