Campus events conclude school year, lead to graduation

20160422-fc-convocation-001
[/media-credit] Only a handful of campus events remain on the calendar for the 2015-’16 school year, which will conclude, May 26.

School year draws to close, May 26

With the school year nearing it’s end, many students are preparing for upcoming finals in their classes. Along with them, students in student leadership are also preparing various end of the year events and celebrations. School officially gets out on May 26.

Earth Week

Alexander Rurik is a freshmen leader in student leadership. Rurik hopes to bring awareness to the environment through the celebration of Earth Day. This year Earth Day will be celebrated from April 18 to the 22.

“To celebrate Earth Day this year for the whole week, we are bringing aluminum cans and plastic bottles to Mr. (Terry) Richards, so he can continue to do Brother to Brother,” Rurik said. “Celebrating Earth Day will help Mr. Richards pay for lunches for members of Brother to Brother.”

Spring Sports Rally April 22 

A sophomore, Roman Endicott, enjoys leadership and having a part in planning events. Endicott has been in leadership since seventh grade. The spring sports rally will be held in the FC gym April 22.

“We are going to play games and have a relay in the FC gym” Endicott said. “We are going to honor all of the spring sports teams and cheer for them. Leadership is going to acknowledge all the hard work and effort that the students put in to participate in those sports.”

FCS Golf Tournament, April 25

Jonathan Penberthy is the co-athletic director at FC. Penberthy hopes to raise funds for FC althetics through the donations made during the 2nd annual FCS golf tournament. The event will be held on April 25 from noon to 5 p.m. at Copper River Country Club.

“The golf tournament is all about raising funds for the athletic department,” Penberthy said. “The tournament will be held at Copper River Country Club. The cost for a foursome to go is $500. You can come in as an individual and you will be placed in a group of four. Bring your own clubs, but lunch is provided. Lunch will be hamburgers and chicken sandwiches.”

If you are interested in participating in the golf tournament, please contact Jonathan Penberthy via email.

Senior Chapel, May 12

The instructor for student leadership, Robert Foshee hopes that senior chapel will challenge students to share their struggles. A senior from the graduating class of ’16 will speak during the chapel. Senior chapel will be held on Thursday, May 12.

“We will have a speaker that will be from our senior class that will share and maybe challenge people to share what’s on their heart and what they have gone through,” Foshee said. “We will pray over the seniors. This is their last chapel because they have finals the next week and they will not be in class after that. We are finalizing a few different seniors that could be the speaker.”

20160422-graduation-001
[/media-credit] Remaining events include senior chapel, the gold tournament and a spring sports rally. The final event of the school year will the class of 2016 graduation.

FCS Convocation, MAY 5 

Principle Amy Deffenbacher is looking forward to the upcoming end of the year convocation, May 5. Deffenbacher feels the convocation is important because it serves as a reminder of our privileges as a Christian school to openly pray. The convocation will be held in the People’s Church Auditorium from 8-8:45 a.m.

“The end-of-year convocation is an all school chapel on the national day of prayer,” Deffenbacher said. “The focus is coming together to pray for our school, our city, our state, our nation, and our world. Mr. (Robert) Foshee coordinates chapels for the school and will help with this event as well. Leadership students help with set up and clean up. As the year comes to a close it is an opportunity to be reminded of and take advantage of the privilege we have, as a Christian school, to join in prayer.”

Graduation May 26

The student body president, Timothy Nyberg, ’16, is looking forward to graduation. Nyberg is excited to celebrate with his fellow classmates. Graduation will be held in the Peoples Church auditorium, May 26.

“For leadership, graduation is obviously our very last event,” Nyberg said. “It’s like the last thing we do together as a class. We basically set up the reception afterwards and make the senior signs. The senior signs have all of the senior’s last names on them. We make sure everything for graduation is set up and looks nice. This year we are holding the reception after graduation in the PC gym.”

For more news read, ABC30 reporters visit lab, feature Feather on daytime news.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_Samuel_Cross_  and via email: Samuel Cross.