Children of Húrin portrays creative world

Detailed characters, intricate plot

[media-credit name=”Photo credit to bbdreamflower of Creative Commons Flickr.” align=”alignright” width=”300″]20160519-Children-of-hurin-001[/media-credit]

Most people have heard of the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings written by J. R. R. Tolkein. These popular book were conducted movies making them even more popular. However fewer people know of Tolkien’s other books, those that were not made into movies. Books such as the Silmarillion which is more extensive and gives greater insight to the world Tolkien created.

However, the Silmarillion is much larger than any of Tolkien’s other books making it a more arduous task. This is why J.R.R. Tolkien’s son, Christopher Tolkien put together a new book out of one of Tolkien’s stories in the Silmarillion; The Children of Húrin or Narn i Chîn Húrin in elvish.

This story takes place thousands of years before the Hobbit, or Lord of the Rings. In this time there is a great war between the forces of the dark Lord Morgoth and the Elven Lords of Noldor or the high elves.

This story however, does not focus on the Elves so much as Húrin and his family. Húrin is the head of the human house of Hador, a noble line that allied with the elves. The house of Hador is one of the few human nations that is allied with the elves.               

However when the Elves and the humans are defeated by Morgoth, Húrin is taken prisoner. Morgoth takes him to his fortress and attempts to interrogate him but Húrin gives no information. Infuriated Morgoth puts a curse on Húrin and his family. From here the story turns to Túrin, the son of Húrin, who is sent from his home to the safety of the Elven kingdom of Menegroth.

The rest of the story, focuses mostly on Túrin who is left to face the curse and through a series of events falls from his former high position of Lord to an exile.

I enjoyed this book even though I had read a different version of it previously. This book was originally part of the Silmarillion but was re-formatted as a book by JRR Tolkien‘s son, Christopher Tolkien.

This version of the book was slightly different from the original book with some slight changes to the plot. It also left out some events that I felt wrapped up the book. I liked the character development that was portrayed throughout the story.

[rwp-review id=”0″]

While I did enjoy reading this book, I believe that the Silmarillion gives more context to the story. Tolkien’s books have a massive amount of backstory and intricate details. These details make reading the book more complicated. For a smooth read, it is better to familiar yourself with the backstory or motives of the characters.

I would recommend this book to those who are fans of this series or those who want to start reading beyond the Hobbit and and Lord of the Rings. I found that this book easier was easier to read than the Lord of the Rings as it is shorter and more action packed.

For more reviews please read: Therapy session review or Jungle book review.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @matthewsue1 and via email: Matthew Sue.