Senior Reflection: Joshua Carter

2016517-Joshua-carter-senior-picture-001
[/media-credit] Senior Joshua Carter discusses the concept of staying content in the moment and about his path to graduation.

Commentary: End of year wrap-up

A little more than a decade of my life has passed in my time here at Fresno Christian. Now, as I look back, the attempt of summing up all of what I learned is simply impossible. These experiences formed my character and led me to realize what I expect of myself in the years to come.

In all the years of high school, it was not the mountains of book wisdom or social knowledge which stand out to me, but rather the problems of the heart.  Most notably, is the idea that in all things we do, be content with who and where you are in life. A strong statement considering the hurdles which life throws at you, but a worthy goal. When happiness comes, be thankful for those moments. Likewise, when hardships arise, remember the past and be content in the present.

Why do I bring this up? Looking at today’s society, we are never content; instead we seek the newest and greatest things. We look forward to the future so much that we forget to be thankful for the present. Take a step back, look at where you are, who your friends are, and revel in their presence. For those reading this who are still in high school, I would encourage you to not count the days until graduation, or number off how many days until summer, but to instead take each day as it comes, and enjoy it to its full potential.

When I contemplate the last four years of high school, all I can think of is that I could not wait for graduation to arrive. I promise you, it will come, all things will arrive in due time. Instead I challenge you to be thankful for what God has done for you, day in and day out. Always looking to the future causes the joys of the present to be forgotten, and instead the pains of the past to be remembered. Relax; take each joy and failure as they come, knowing that nothing lasts forever.

In all the years of high school, it was not the mountains of book wisdom or social knowledge which stand out to me, but rather the problems of the heart.  Most notably, is the idea that in all things we do, be content with who and where you are in life. A strong statement considering the hurdles which life throws at you, but a worthy goal. When happiness comes, be thankful for those moments. Likewise, when hardships arise, remember the past and be content in the present. –Joshua Carter

High school is oftentimes considered just a preparation for college; however through my time spent in the journalism lab, I learned life skills which will be used in the workplace no matter where I end up. In my freshmen year of high school, the English and journalism teacher Greg Stobbe convinced me to take publications. In retrospect, this was maybe one of the best decisions I made.

2016517-Joshua-carter-senior-picture-002
[/media-credit] Carter will be attending Purdue University where he intends to study English in the fall.

This class put me in situations which shaped me into who I am today. I learned how to deal with difficult situations, take responsibility for my actions, and many more life skills. High school journalists are put into situations where they are given the opportunity to step outside of their comfort zone. These opportunities create experiences which would be otherwise nearly impossible to experience.

For any freshman, or rather any high school student, I would encourage you to visit your publications class. Here they demand excellence, and give an opportunity to grow in an environment impossible to find outside of school. Looking back, I can say, that my adviser Greg Stobbe had one of the largest impacts upon me in high school,  I am thankful for all that he pushed me to do.

The transition from youth to adulthood would be difficult without the help of a high school experience. I am thankful for this section of my life and will not regret the time spent training myself to be the best that I could be. I will look towards the future with anticipation, but be content in the present, as one stage of my life is completed, and another is about to begin.

Joshua Carter will be attending Purdue University, majoring in English.

For another senior reflection read, Senior Reflection: Rees Roggenstein