Senior Reflection: Nicole Hudecek

[media-credit name=”Kylie Bell” align=”alignright” width=”200″]2016nicole19[/media-credit]

Commentary: End of year wrap-up

There are an abundance of movies, books, advice columns, and inspirational quotes about moving on. Many center around the idea of how drastic life will change within a matter of months. Most always mention how we’ll never be the same. The thing that has stuck out to me is not being with the same people again. Sure I’ll spend time with the friends I made throughout high school after I graduate, but it won’t be the same. Everything will have changed.

When I came to Fresno Christian my freshman year, that was a drastic change. The jump from junior high to high school was hard. Soon I became comfortable in the environment and decided to join extracurriculars. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Journalism connected me to campus events. It aided my involvement in the school, which was slowly diminishing at the time. In the two years that I’ve spent in the club, I’ve laughed a lot, I’ve stressed a lot, and surprisingly have sang a lot.

In this year, I have struggled between the two islands seniors must chose to inhabit. Life on the first one knows it’s not easy, but there is a quiet strength to keeping a positive attitude. The other sucks you in and influences you to lose energy to perform well during the day. Each day I found myself counting down the months, then weeks, and now days. The four years I’ve spent at Fresno Christian have moved slowly, and then all at once the clock struck, counting down the last week rapidly. 

Despite my hardships, senior year alone has exceeded all expectations. I cannot even compare it to my other years in high school. I am in a different world than I ever was last year or the years before. The people I’ve surrounded myself around, and the opportunities I have been provided with are what have made my senior year. My extracurricular activities were set in stone from the year before, and I entered the year, ready to begin my college search.

With four years of theater experience, I decided to make it five and wrap up this year in the production of “Hello Dolly.” I will be honest, it was one of the hardest shows I’ve ever done, and at times not enjoyable. But I’m extremely grateful I returned this year. I’ve bonded with the cast, and will deeply miss them once I move on. Hopefully, I will be provided with the chance to assist in next year’s production.

[media-credit id=146 align=”alignright” width=”300″]2016nicole11[/media-credit]

Bellezza Ensemble has pushed its members to not only sing amazingly, but also reach out to the community. We began singing everywhere we were requested, and with the endless devotion from our Music Director, Susan Ainley, we were able to make it to New York. I thank her for everything she’s done. She is truly a woman who can do anything and I admire her immensely for it. She’s one of the best teachers I have ever had in my life.

Whatever qualms students have about Fresno Christian, whatever attitude they choose to represent themselves with, I deeply encourage them to join something. Through my extracurricular activities, I was given a sense of belonging. They helped me find my place, and influenced my future career goals. It’s important to make the most of what is happening around you. God has shown that to me. I thank Him everyday for the little blessing life gives me, and the little interactions in each of my days spent at this school.

I remember sophomore year, at my brother, Kyle Hudecek’s, graduation, saying “In two years that will be me.” One year ago I said the same thing. Now I am here, and it’s a feeling no words can give the right meaning to. It’s a drastic change. You just have to experience it in order to know. No novel, movie, advice column, or whatever is out there can provide enough information about your life. Make your life memorable by making your high school time memorable.

I may grieve over the ending to an era in my life, but I know that because of what the people and school has provided me with I will be able to move on confidently into a new stage of my life.

Nicole will be attending Fresno City College in their Honors Program, and will use her love for drama and journalism to major in the Communications field. 

For another Senior Reflection, read: Senior Reflection: Tim Nyberg.