Senior reflection: Andrew Moore

Commentary: End of year wrap-up

20160518-senior-reflection-daniel-001
[/media-credit] Andrew Moore reflects on his time in high school and his single year spent working for The Feather.

When I graduate, I will find myself among those called Fresno Christian lifers- people who have attended this school from Kindergarten through Senior year. After all these years in a stable, Christian learning environment, I feel ready to face the challenges the world has to throw at me. The lessons taught here, through the knowledge and compassion of the staff, have allowed me to flourish into the person I am today.

The lessons of elementary school lie far behind, but happy thoughts of friendships lasting from that time until now remain with me. The teachers of my younger years prepared me excellently for the things that would face me as I grew. Although I wasn’t always the easiest pupil, their patience and maturity gave a positive role model to follow. This example was a helpful guideline as I aged and life became more and more complicated with new responsibilities and experiences.

As with every step up the ladder of schooling, Junior high expanded my mind and compounded my stress. New freedom was coupled with new concepts like homework and finals. As I coped with these realities, the thoughtful instruction of wise mentors like Terry Richards and Hallie Rojeski kept me sane. The important phrase: “You know the difference between right and wrong. Don’t do wrong!” was exactly what I needed to hear at that time.

Moore was ranked No. 1 on the varsity tennis ladder his senior year.
[/media-credit] Moore was ranked No. 1 on the varsity tennis ladder his senior year.

Reaching high school once again provided new opportunities and difficulties. Greg Stobbe’s  English class in freshman year did a great job equipping me with the tool of writing. This helped me in almost every class I ever took in high school. With pressure on to get good grades, my parents, teachers and friends were excellent helpers in my academic progress. I couldn’t have completed all of the classes that I have today without their input.

When I finally found time to fit journalism into my schedule during my final year of high school, I immediately enjoyed the culture that I found myself in. The honing of my writing career that Mr. Stobbe began freshman year only continued under his instruction in journalism. I found myself writing more than I ever could have thought possible. More than that, I exposed myself to a variety of situations, interviewing important members of the community and recording their responses in detailed articles. This experience allowed me to grow personally, and I believe the skills I gained in this class will follow me in any profession.

Next year I will attend Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, majoring in Business Administration. I hope that the hands on and practical nature of this college will help me gain critical real world experience  necessary to hold a high level job. The academic rigor of Fresno Christian courses has prepared me well for the things I will face in a college environment, hopefully guiding me to a successful future. More importantly, the Biblical teaching I have received here has sharpened my faith in Christ, making me God’s instrument in whatever environment I find myself in the future, wherever that may be.

For another senior reflection read, Senior Reflection: Justin Houts.