Ensemble, choir look to create special bonds in annual trip

[/media-credit] FC choir and ensemble will attend their annual retreat at Bass Lake, Sept. 10-11.

Music department prepares for Bass Lake retreat

FC choir and ensemble will attend their annual retreat the weekend of Sept. 10-11. Pete and Carolyn DeGroot again will open their family cabin at Bass Lake for this event.

Each year, the choir welcomes new members, and the retreat offers an opportunity to bond. The weekend has scheduled rehearsals to learn music, but the main emphasis is to get to know each other.

Choir members will have an afternoon on the lake that includes swimming and boating. In the evening, after rehearsal, there will be group games and lots of food.

Director Susan Ainley believes that the retreat is a great way for the group to make special bonds that will last the whole year. The most important aspect is growing closer to each other.

“Retreat is an excellent opportunity for new and returning students to quickly form a bond that lasts the entire year,” Ainley said. “Yes, we learn some songs but that is not the main focus. The most important element is becoming friends that want to sing together.”

Along with playing games and having devotional time, Celeste Counts, ‘18, loves to sing with friends. One of her greatest moments was when she had the opportunity to tube behind a boat.

“I love singing with all of my friends,” Counts said. “I also enjoy playing games and having devotional times in a small group setting. One of my favorite memories was when I got to tube behind Mr. Deffenbacher’s boat.”
[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/282064938″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

20151019-fc-ladies-ensemble-012
[/media-credit] Ensemble hopes to connect with each other and create special bonds while on the trip.

As getting to know new people is her goal, Alina Davila, ’20, is brand new to FC and is looking forward to her first retreat. She has heard of fun games and activities. Davila is excited to be on the lake.

“I can’t wait to get to know more people in choir,” Davila said. “I look forward to playing, Guess Who, with members in the choir. I am also excited for the types of activities on the lake. It all sounds like fun and I am excited to go on my first retreat.”

FC choir and ensemble have a full year of concerts and festivals to prepare for, and the retreat is an excellent way to get started. 

For another ensemble article, read: Ensembles makes trip to historical Carnegie Hall.

This writer can be reached via email: Slater Wade.