Join the discussion: Kaepernick sits for national anthem

20160909-kaepernick-discussion-002
[/media-credit] FC students and teachers responded to Colin Kaepernick’s recent behavior regarding the national anthem.

After sitting through the national anthem, reporters came to Colin Kaepernick ready with questions.

At a postgame interview, Kaepernick explained to reporters that he sat during the anthem as a way of protesting the mistreatment of people of color in America. He clarified that he did not intend to insult the military through his protest.

After watching and seeing Kaepernick’s sitting, students and teachers at FC share their opinions on his controversial protest.

Standing up is a sign of respect
Nathan Mount, Junior
September 9, 2016

“I think that it was conceded. He should not have sat down during the national anthem. Standing up is a sign of respect for our great country. By sitting down he basically spit in the face of all Americans.”

Racism is an attitude problem
Sage Sobrado, Senior
September 9, 2016

“I think Kaepernick’s protest was very disrespectful towards the troops who have died for him to play football. The national anthem is our pride in America. It is about honoring those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in giving their life. It is shameful that he won’t stand for that. I honestly think there is very little racism in America. I think racism is an attitude problem.”

No reason for his actions
Cayla Rivas, Junior
September 8, 2016

“I think Kaepernick was being stupid. I feel like he had no good reason to be sitting down during the national anthem. I found it disrespectful to not only the veterans who have fought for our freedom but to the country as a whole. I believe in expressing your opinion but he did it in a really bad way.

20160909-kaepernick-discussion-001
[/media-credit] Kaepernick sat down during the national anthem to protest recent police shootings against minorities.

There was a different way to protest
Andrea Donaghe, Teacher
September 8, 2016

“I understand what he was doing. He has explained himself very well. However I think that for someone that can be a role model for young Americans, both minority or not, I think there was a different way to go about this. We live in a country where you do have the right to do that. As a daughter of a military veteran, I personally found it offensive and hurtful to America.

Unpatriotic
Megan LeBlanc, Freshman
September 8, 2016

“I think Kaepernick was being unpatriotic. I guess if he really wants to sit down he can but it was kind of disrespectful. I don’t think he was really trying to accomplish anything, he was just being unpatriotic.

Racism will always be prevalent, minimize it
Natalia Hill, Sophomore
September 2, 2016

“I think that he was trying to make a stand and make the issue seem more important than they actually are and that he was trying to gain popularity and acceptance with the minorities and the Democrats. His standings have been lower in the sports community and also he was trying to capitalize on his blackness. Racism is always going to be here, so we are going to have to learn how to accept it and learn how to change and minimize it.”

Unintentional disrespect
Kyle Dodson, Teacher
August 31, 2016

“I think that his opinions and his stance could have been expressed in a more respectful way because of the actions that he held, it’s putting just as much emphasis on the statement he was trying to make as well as his own selfish purposes. As an American, he has every right to sit and I have read a lot of reports of some vets are standing with him and other vets found it disrespectful. I don’t think his intention was to disrespect veterans. He was trying to bring a message to national attention.”

Racism is a pendulum
Daniel Williams, Freshmen
August 31, 2016

“As an African-American who sides with ‘Black Lives Matter’, I still stand for the pledge of allegiance because I know that many minority people are mistreated in our country, I know that America is still willing to fight for our freedoms. America has still been willing to fight for us and it has been since 1776. Racism is a pendulum and so it is going to be really bad at times and then swing back.”

Racism is being amplified by media
Anonymous student
August 31, 2016

“While I respect his right to protest, and I see the point he is trying to make, I definitely don’t think it’s justified. What he did disrespected our military, who protect his right to protest. I think the national anthem is about our military and their perseverance. I like what Will Smith said on racism, he said that it’s not getting worse, it’s just being filmed. Racism wasn’t much different about a decade ago, but the media wasn’t often blowing it up all over the United States to rile people up and make money like they are now.”

Kaepernick’s recent behavior has sparked controversial debates everywhere. The Feather encourages everyone to leave a comment below with your thoughts on his behavior.

For another article read, Fresno correctional officers shot, impacts community.

This author can be reached via twitter: @_samuel_cross_ and via email: Sam Cross.