On campus college fair excites students, introduces opportunities

20160920-fc-college-fair-001
[/media-credit] 18 schools attended FC’s annual Christian college fair, Sept. 20.

18 institutions attend annual Christian college fair

FC hosted 18 schools for this year’s Christian college fair. Students were intrigued by how many colleges were at this event and interested in what they had to say.

Every year the college fair is anticipated for the school. It gives a chance for seniors that have not picked what college they want to go to a oppurtunity to see what school they would like to go to.

Schools such as Biola, Fresno State, Point Loma, and GCU from all round the west coast were at this event. They offered new and exciting information for students so that they would consider their university as a destination. Deadline day for a lot of the seniors is right around the corner. This particular event helps the seniors get a better understanding of what colleges they would like to apply to.

A lot of the schools that were there this year were not here last year. Trevor Trevino, ‘17, enjoyed this year’s college fair more than the previous one. He was thankful that many of the schools he is interested in attended the fair.

“This years college fair intrigued me more than last year’s,” Trevino said. “The reason why it did was because all of the colleges that I was thinking of applying to were there. I was very happy with the representatives because they were very nice and informative. I feel like it should be like this every year. It makes me feel good inside because I know that FC is making an effort to think about our futures.”

Seniors were not allowed to go off campus during the college fair for lunch. While some students were disappointed, Timothy Melendez, ’17, was okay with it. He thought the fair was very educational and eye opening.

“I wasn’t really mad that we weren’t allowed to go off campus during the college fair,” Melendez said. “Honestly, the college fair helped narrow down some colleges that I’m interested in. Overall, the fair was super informative and kind of surreal. I didn’t realize how close I am to graduating and how soon I need to be applying.”

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/283957963″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

College fairs like these only come once every year to FC. That is why this event is held to such high standards and is anticipated every time colleges come to the school.

Students look for a positive Christian environment and that is what some of the schools that are at the college fair can provide. Cate Vander Kooi, ‘18, thinks that a good environment leads to a successful college career.

“I visited booths of private Christian colleges,” Vander Kooi said. “The reason why I did this is because a Christian environment is very important to me. I want to continue to live a Christian life and not drift away into the temptations that college can offer me. The booths that I went to were Grand Canyon University and Point Loma University. Both of these universities offered a Christian environment and that really made me happy”

Even local public colleges like Fresno State were happy to be there. They wanted to reach out to smaller schools and tell them why Fresno State can be a good landing point for them.

20160920-fc-college-fair-007
[/media-credit] Students were given the oppurtunity to win various school apparel in a raffle drawing.

Fresno State representative Alejandro Medina wanted to come out to FC is to inform about the options of going to college. She loves what she does and wants other people to have the joy of a great education.

“I just love telling people on every campus that I visit to go to college,” Medina said. “You have the opportunity of doing something that not a lot of people get to do. If your parents want you to succeed, they will definitely encourage you to go to a college. You can learn so much and that is what I love to preach whenever I come onto a high school campus or any campus a matter of fact.”

Once again, the annual FC Christian college fair was a success. Students piled up to booths around campus gaining information about specific colleges. The fair gave students a new perspective an insight on what colleges they may want to attend in the future.

To read about last year’s college fair check out, Campus hosts over 30 institutions during College Fair.

This author can be reached via twitter: @sukyboiii