Promo: See You at the Pole unites student body

XX
XX

Students gather for annual prayer event

fc-see-you-at-the-pole-20150922005
[/media-credit] FC students gather in the courtyard at 7 a.m. for prayer on See You at the Pole day, Sept. 28.

Each year, students around the world willingly set their alarms early to come to an event known as See You at the Pole. Beginning 25 years ago, SYATP continues to bring students together in prayer for their school, country and generation. This year SYATP will be held on Sept. 28.

Student leadership Vice President Trevor Trevino, ’17, attends SYATP to let God work through him. Trevino encourages students to come because of the occasion’s ability to bring awareness to the school and country.

“This event is student-led with the help of Mr. Foshee,” Trevino said. “It’s important to come because coming to this event shows God how much we care about each other. It’s also important because it helps students appreciate the state of our country and our school and faculty. I’m going to See You at the Pole because I want to allow God to do his work through me as his Christian servant. It’s an opportunity to stretch my faith because the more and more I pray, the more God allows me to step out of my comfort zone more easily.”

Josh Villa, ’18, says he will not be attending SYATP this year because of homework. Villa will sleep in to make up for the late nights of studying and completing assignments.

“I have heard of See You at the Pole, but I have never gone before,” Villa said. “I am not planning to go this year because I usually have a lot of homework. I have to stay up late to get that homework done. See You at the Pole would require me to wake up earlier than I normally do, and I can’t do that.”

Worship team instructor Daniel Garrison sees SYATP as a great time to recharge faith and be in fellowship with other believers. Garrison remembers going to Buchanan High School and going to the event every year as a high school student.

“See You At The Pole is a week of national student prayer,” Garrison said. “Wednesday morning, whatever campus they go to, students are encouraged to gather around their flag pole or just meet up as a group of Christians and pray until the bell rings and they go to school. Anyone can come to See You at the Pole. At FC, See You at the Pole will be held near the globe. It’s a really cool thing to be able to recharge your faith when a bunch of people get together specifically to pray for their campus, classmates and country.”

fc-see-you-at-the-pole-20150922001
[/media-credit] Along with a time of prayer, the worship team will  be leading the students and faculty in worship.

Encouraged by the event, Reece Trevino, ’19, expects many students to attend this year’s gathering at the pole. SYATP helps Reece to remember to pray for other people. In the past, Reece played an instrument as a part of the worship team singing at the event, however this year he plans to come as a student and pray.

“I want to go to the pole to pray about my needs, our country’s needs, and everybody’s needs,” Reece said. “I have gone in the past as a part of the worship team to play music. This year I want to go as a student to pray. See You at the Pole has encouraged me to keep praying for other people who are in need. This year, I am expecting a lot of people are going to come out to the event.”

This year SYATP is represented by the theme of “a generation seeking Him.” As students gather at the flagpoles of their respective schools they will be praying for their families, schools, and country. FC students will be meeting in the courtyard at 7 a.m.

To read another promo article read, Promo: Seniors embark on annual retreat.

This writer can be reached via twitter: @_Samuel_cross_ and via email: Sam Cross.