Recap: Grandparents Day 2016

Grandparents gather together for a day at FC

20160930-grandparents-day-017
[/media-credit] In elementary classes, grandparents and children participated in crafts and special activities.

The 25th annual Grandparents Day was one like none other. The Fresno Christian administration decided to change this up this year and start new traditions, Sept. 30. With hot coffee and pastries in hand, grandparents were eager to witness a day at FC.

Instead of initially arriving on campus and attending classes with their grandchildren, grandparents had a special chapel held in the SMC where they were greeted by Principal Amy Deffenbacher.

A performance by the Belleza ensemble took the stage to start off the chapel. Belleza sang ‘God Bless America’ and their own rendition of ‘Happy Grandparents Day to You’. During chapel, prizes were given away to those who had a special sticker on the back of their chair.

From there, grandparents took a tour with their grandchildren and visited with teachers during classes. After a few minutes of introducing themselves to the teachers, it was time for lunch provided by Moving Feast.

Lindsey Weimer’s grandma Cathy Weimer, who has been to 15 grandparents days, talked about how she enjoyed how the school thanked her for coming and how she was able to see all of her classes and meet the teachers.

“I loved being thanked by FC’s principal and the present were also nice,” Weimer said.”Being able to go with Lindsey through her classes and meeting her teachers was really nice. I’m glad I got to meet her teachers.”

Logan Lewis‘, ‘19, grandma Beverly Lewis, has attended nine grandparent days, and enjoys meeting Logan’s friends.

“I love meeting his friends and seeing how smart he is,” Beverly Lewis said. “And to see how much he is learning.”[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/285484017″ layout=”yes” comments=”yes” show_related=”yes” show_user=”yes” auto_play=”no” color=”#ff7700″ width=”100%” height=”150″ class=”” id=””/]The Moving Feast provided a box lunch that consisted of a sandwich, chips, fruit cup, cookie and water. Grandparents and students sat together around tables scattered across the campus. Sprinkled across the campus the hallways, classes and Peoples Church gym were crowded with many groups of grandparents.

20160930-grandparents-day-019
[/media-credit] Grandparents and students create crafts during their time together on Grandparents Day, Sept. 30.

Although not everyone’s grandparents could attend, Juliana Lozano, ‘18, thinks that it is important for grandparents to experience what it is like at FC.

“I didn’t have any grandparents come to grandparents day,” Lozano said. “I think grandparents day is very important because it allows us to connect with people who are wiser and have more experience.”

After a day of celebration, FC is thankful for this special gathering with those from many generations. With smiles on their faces, grandparents left with a memorable close up of a day at FC.

[rev_slider alias=”gday2016″]

This writer can be reached via email: Reese Brown.

For more top 5 articles read, Promo: Homecoming week, Oct. 3-7.