FC turns back time: Day 2

20161004-hc-sports-day-005
[/media-credit] For sports day students dress up in their favorite sport team apparel, Oct. 4.

Students show off sport attire

The FC hallways bursted with color and chatter Tuesday morning as students arrived decked out in their favorite sports uniform. Some devoted sports fans argued over the performance of professional athletes. Tuesday’s homecoming theme was Sports Day and student leadership encouraged students to come in their favorite jerseys to earn points for their class. The points would be contributed to their class for the homecoming competition.

Fitting with the day’s theme, former professional athletes, Tanya Crevier and Dominic Miller came as representatives from an organization known as Champions for Tomorrow. Miller played with the University of Houston and Crevier played with the NWNBA.  The duo put on a display of talents and strengths that fit with the message they shared with the assembly of students.

For today’s sports day, avid soccer fan, Nathan Mount, ‘18, cheers for Barcelona or Manchester United. Mount grew up watching and playing soccer with family and friends and his love of the sport sprouted from his childhood experiences.

“I really enjoy watching soccer,” Mount said. “I like the intensity of the sport. Sports are special to me because I grew up playing them. I have always played them with my friends and that makes playing them really fun. I grew up playing soccer and I also tried playing basketball.”

Filled with school spirit, Josh Villa, ‘18, was unable to locate a Packer’s jersey in time for Sports Day. Villa wants to support his class in the competition, but seems to forget to wear clothing fitting for the week’s themes.

“I would love to show my passion for the Packers, but I don’t have a jersey I can wear right now,” Villa said. “The last one I had got ruined. I want to participate in the themes this week, but I seem to forget them once I get home. The junior class definitely has a shot at winning the competition this week. We are the juniors, we are the best there is and the best there ever will be!”

Macy Thompson, ‘19, has enjoyed the homecoming themes and float building. Thompson decided to wear her dad’s motocross team jersey because she liked it’s design.

20161004-sportsday-006
[/media-credit] During a special chapel, Champions for Tomorrow showed off their skills to inspire students.

“I play basketball as a year round sport and if I have time to play other sports, I try to play those as well,” Thompson said. “For me, sports are special because it makes me feel like I am doing something and I can be in shape. Sports allow me to share Christ’s love on and off the court. Today for Sports Day, I decided to wear my dad’s brand new SRT team jersey because it looks really cool.”

Student leadership adviser, Robert Foshee sees Sports Day as a great opportunity for students to get involved with their classes. Foshee enjoys seeing students show school spirit and work together on their floats.

“Sports day is a part of our homecoming week,” Foshee said. “Sports day is about wearing athletic wear or jerseys to school. Students get points for their class if they dress for the theme of that day. Student leadership thought a sports theme would be easy for students to participate in and it would be a fun theme for the week.”

A three sport athlete, Toryn Triplitt, ‘20, plays volleyball, soccer and competitive horse riding. Triplitt uses sports to vent anger and express herself.

“I love to watch soccer, especially the USA women’s olympic team,” Triplitt said. “I play soccer, volleyball and I also competitively ride horses. Sports are a way to express ourselves and release anger. I am wearing an Oregon Ducks jersey. My brother is a big fan of the Oregon Ducks, so I borrowed one of his jerseys because I didn’t have anything else to wear.”

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/295902798″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Favoring the Yankees over Giants, Julie Donis, ‘17, enjoys watching professional baseball. Donis appreciates the ability of team sports to bring classmates together and compete for

“I play softball and soccer,” Donis said. “I play sports because I like having the opportunity to play as a team and being able to grow closer to your peers. I like watching professional baseball, and I am a Yankees fan. I am wearing a Russell Wilson jersey today because he is the best quarterback in football.”

For Wednesday’s theme student leadership chose World Wednesday. Students are encouraged to wear clothing representing countries around the world. Those who wear clothing fitting with the theme will earn their classes points towards the week long competition. 

FC Turns Back Time Day 2 photo recap
[rev_slider alias=”Homecoming2016Tues”]

To view yesterday’s recap check it out here, FC turns back time: Day 1.

For more top 5 articles read, Editorial: News Engagement Day spreads awareness.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: _Samuel_cross_ and via email: Sam Cross.