The Annex Kitchen offers carefully prepared food, dedicated service

The Annex Kitchen in Fresno offers rustic Italian dishes.
[/media-credit] The Annex Kitchen in Fresno offers rustic Italian dishes.

The Annex Kitchen provides rustic Italian atmosphere

For anyone looking to be served rustic italian food by a caring staff with attention to detail, The Annex Kitchen is the perfect spot. Formerly Padini’s Cafe, The Annex Kitchen is owned and run by brothers Jeff and Jimmy Pardini, of the Pardini family that runs the catering business in the same building. 

The family involvement in restaurants and the business of serving  food goes back a long time, and it shows in the staff they hire and the dishes they serve. Servers do not let a moment pass where a customer might be in need of something; a drink refill, plates that need to be taken away. There is no trying desperately to flag down a waiter when the pile of plates spills over. It is a definite plus that the staff is dedicated and pays attention to detail.

The only problem is the noise inside the restaurant. Having to lean across the table to understand what anyone is saying makes it difficult to eat with leisure. 

As a starter, I ordered the roasted bone marrow that the restaurant is known for. It came served in the bone with toasted buttered bread, and small toppings on the side. I expected it to have a juicy fat type flavor, and that it would spread onto the bread. Rather, it sat on top of the bread with cloves of garlic or whatever other topping came on the side. However, I did not know what to expect and it did not create any problems. The flavor completely fulfilled my expectations, akin to a piece of fat on a juicy steak. Though for those over 21 years of age, a fine wine might help to balance out the intensity of the flavor.

With this particular dish, it is a matter of the person eating it and if they decide to drink something

20161104-annex-review-02
[/media-credit] The dessert menu offers a variety of creative options.

that will complement it and hold the flavor. As for ordering it again, it is entirely possible. Things change and its possible to try something twice and  like it more the second time. 

The kale caesar salad came next, covered in a small mountain of pecorino cheese. Though it may seem excessive, the use of so much cheese definitely paid off. On it’s own, the flavoring of the kale with the caesar dressing is wonderful. But with the cheese there is texture and a whole new flavor.

The steamed mussels were meant to be a starter, but they worked just as well as an entree with the amount served. The mussels come in a creamy tomato sauce that adds interest to a usually uniform dish.

As a dessert the chocolate Budino, served as a salty sweet end to a memorable dinner. The chocolate alone needed some type of sweetening, and the whipped cream fit in perfectly. Walnuts to the side added saltiness and a variety in texture. 

The only problem is the noise inside the restaurant. Around dinner people fill up the tables and multiple conversations begin. Having to lean across the table to understand what anyone is saying makes it difficult to eat with leisure. Aside from this, an overall memorable experience. Though the prices are slightly on the higher side, the food is wonderful and the service does not fail to ensure the customers have everything they need. 

[rwp-review id=”0″]

For another food review read, THE POINT offers expansive seating, entree options.

This author can be reached via twitter: @_ElizabethAnn16 and via email: Elizabeth Baker.