Common App provides useful student resume builder

20161101-common-app-001
[/media-credit] The Common Application is an efficient way to apply to multiple colleges.

Seniors use efficient application tool

As college applications approach, some are scrambling to complete their applications, while other more prepared students count the days leading to the deadline. Many colleges in the U.S. use a resume builder named the Common Application.

The Common App’s purpose is to simplify the processes of applying to multiple colleges by keeping them all in one place. The 2017 campus graduating class consists of 51 seniors and many make use of the Common App to help them apply for colleges and universities across the country.

On the Common App website, directions are provided in the process of filling out a common application. According to the directions, one must create an account before filling out the application.

Campus college counselor Michelle Warkentin enjoys helping students complete their Common Applications process. Warkentin advises seniors applying to colleges to not wait until the last minute to finish their applications. Warkentin is available to help campus seniors complete their applications.

“The Common App is a college application website. Over 700 colleges use this website as a tool for students to apply to college,” Warkentin said. “It is a way for students to house all of their applications in one place (assuming the colleges all utilize the Common App).”

Not every application is completely the same. Applications have a common field of questions and once finished, questions that are specifically tailored to certain college are asked. 

“Every part of the Common App is important,” Warkentin said. “However, the college-specific application questions and teacher/counselor recommendations are the portions that set students apart from others and allow their true personality and unique characteristics to shine through.”

The Common App is a great tool for high school students looking to make the transition into college. It makes things easier on the student by listing all of the requirements needed to apply to a specific college. I’ve already started to apply to college and I’ve used the Common App to help guide me and show me everything I need to do. –Nick LeBlanc

After account creation students need to add schools they are interested into their list. The website provides a college search tab to assist with locating colleges. After locating schools of choice, students then need to understand the unique requirements for each of the universities they plan to apply to. The final two steps instruct students to gather information and begin filling out the application.

With almost 700 schools that support the Common App, many seniors find their dream colleges on that list. Applying to Purdue, Marquette, and Westmont Phillip Christopher, ‘17, seeks to major in kinesiology. Christopher appreciates the Common App’s efficiency but dislikes relying on teachers to submit their evaluations to him.

“The Common App is a really useful tool for applying for colleges in an efficient way,” Christopher said. “You can fill out the application one time and then answer questions that are specific that are tailored to certain colleges you are applying to. The most stressful thing about the whole process is getting your teacher evaluations in on time. It’s mostly stressful for me because I have to rely on others to get their stuff done for me instead of doing it myself.”

20161101-common-app-002
[/media-credit] Students make a list of all the colleges they would like to apply to once inside the Common App website.

Currently undecided on his major, Nicholas LeBlanc, ‘17, seeks to attend either Santa Clara, Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s, Westmont or Fresno Pacific University. LeBlanc sees the Common App as a useful tool for applying to colleges. He found it to be a very simple and easy process.

“The Common App is a great tool for high school students looking to make the transition into college,” LeBlanc said. “It makes things easier on the student by listing all of the requirements needed to apply to a specific college. I’ve already started to apply to college and I’ve used the Common App to help guide me and show me everything I need to do.”

Enjoying the sciences Kathryn Blankenship, ‘17, plans to major in either zoology or biology. Blankenship found the Common App to be tedious and time-consuming, but not difficult to complete.  

“The Common App was not particularly difficult, but it was a very long process,” Blankenship said. “The short answer questions, and filling out of grades did take quite a while. The Common App overall was a much more efficient process than filling out individual applications for each of the different colleges you are interested in.”

Many college’s deadlines for the Common Application are approaching. College counselor Michelle Warkentin encourages seniors who have not yet completed their college applications to submit their applications as soon as possible.

To get started on your application visit, CommonApp.org

For another article, read College Corner: New FAFSA application processing available, Oct. 1.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_Samuel_Cross_