FC Insider: Powderpuff takes over FC football

20151120-fc-powderpuff-006
    [/media-credit] Blogger Slater Wade believes that the juniors will retain their title of powderpuff champions, Nov. 18.

Juniors will repeat as champions

This Friday night, Nov. 18, football takes a twist as the Eagles play their annual powderpuff game. The girls from the freshmen, ‘20, sophomore, ‘19, junior, ‘18, and seniors, ‘17, will compete for the championship. Juniors won last year against the 2016 class, and the seniors tied for third with the sophomores.

The freshmen team is quick and has a lot of potential. If their coaches can figure out easy plays the girls can learn quick and execute, I can see them winning one game. They have decent speed from Kayla Vanderlinden, ‘20, and Annable Messer, ‘20.

Sophomores have a smart team but lack energy, if they want to win these girls must have intense energy from Macie Thompson, ‘19,  and their coaches have to have smart plays to counter the aggressive style of the other teams. I would look to Ashley Zamarripa, ‘19, to lead her team with the help of her father since he is the varsity offensive coordinator for the Eagles. I expect them to lose to the Seniors in the semi-final. 

Since the juniors are a running team they will control the clock and the game. This will force the seniors into last minute situations. If the seniors can force mistakes on defense and capitalize on these mistakes they should win. If they cannot contain the running game and cannot effectively run the ball themselves they will lose. –Slater Wade

The juniors are my favorite to win the whole thing, with great speed from Maicy Luginbill, ‘18, and Cayla Rivas, ‘18. Not only is this team fast but they are very physical, with players like Natalya Hill, ‘18, and Celeste Counts, ‘18. The best way to stop these girls is to send a lot of pressure and force mistakes. Offensively they take advantage of their physical athletes with misdirections and reverses to catch the defense out of position.

The seniors games will be close and intense. If the coaches use their players like they should, such as Mari Radoicich, ‘17, at tight end, Jenny King, ’17, and Hannah Nale, ‘17, at wide receiver, they will be successful. These three players will be key as

20151120-fc-powderpuff-025
    [/media-credit] Wade predicts that the seniors will be the team to take on the juniors in the powderpuff championship.

they will create mismatches in the passing game. If Julie Donis, ‘17, can accurately use her strong arm, which should create a deep threat no one can defend. This impressive offense will be exciting to watch.

The championship will come down to the seniors and juniors. Passing game vs the running game. This game will be very exciting with big plays being made almost every possession. Since the juniors are a running team they will control the clock and control of the game. This will force the seniors into last minute situations. If the seniors can force mistakes on defense and capitalize on these mistakes they should win. If they cannot contain the running game and can not effectively run the ball themselves they will lose. Final score prediction: 41-34. Juniors will retain their title. 

To read last week’s FC Insider check out, FC Insider: Eagles look for a back to back valley championship

This writer can be reached via email: Slater Wade

Joel MartinezNov 30, 2016 at 11:31 am

WOW! Great article Slater.

Matthew TanakaNov 29, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Very good article Slater. You were right except the championship game wasn’t that close. But in all very good with your predictions!