Column: Foreign language breaks barriers, accommodates in daily life

The power and benefit of learning ethnic dialect

20161206-flags-001
[/media-credit] Learning a different language is the first and most important step to the discovery of the grand world outside.

During the unfinished construction of the Tower of Babel over five thousand years ago, God confused the same language and the world became an entirely different place. From being able to understand everyone in the world, now humanity became separated by a strong and permanent language barrier.

Today there are approximately 6,500 languages and dialects spoken around the world, many of which are rather scarce and spoken only by a minority of people.

The complication with this extraordinary fact is the incapability of a human being to become proficient in all tongues, thus revealing the fact that humans are not God.

Today the largest number of languages spoken by a single individual is 58, according to the Guinness World Records. A Liberian-born 62-year-old polyglot Ziad Fazah claims to fluently speak, understand, read, and write all 58, which include the most common such as English and Spanish, and the less known like Dzongkha and Tajik.

Although not all people are capable to master in as many languages as Fazah, it is very important to try to learn at least more than one. Such knowledge is not only important and must be taken seriously, but also enjoyable and opens many new doors to an undiscovered culture.

Historians, archeologists, and scholars understand that the knowledge of a foreign language is important as it is necessary for success in their professions. However, sincere truth-seekers and adventurers must know that the world is more then just where we spend most of our lives. Learning a different language is the first and most important step to the discovery of the grand world outside.

An individual benefits from the knowledge of multiple languages not only in an external manner, but also in a way of being capable of discovering the true inner self. Every different language changes a person’s outward and inward appearance, the way they act, present themselves, express their feelings, and even think. — Tatiana Iest

Moreover, it is our mission, as the people of God, to break barriers and tell the good news of Christ to people of all nations. The Bible encourages to step out of our comfort zone and take on challenges, which produce personal growth and maturing of a Christ-like character.

An individual benefits from the knowledge of multiple languages not only in an external manner, but also in a way of being capable of discovering the true inner self. Every different language changes a person’s outward and inward appearance, the way they act, present themselves, express their feelings, and even think.

Campus Spanish teacher Rachel Rodriguez believes the knowledge of another language is highly beneficial and has many opportunities to offer.

“I feel it can benefit a person in multiple ways,” Rodriguez said. “More ways to reach out to people are available, those who speak multiple languages are very often preferred over others when it comes to getting a job, and just the simple fact that it opens more doors. Also by being Christian, it is our duty to tell people about Jesus.

“Learning more that one language gives you more opportunities to reach out to people,” Rodriguez continued. “You can connect with them, relate to them and to their language. That way they are more open to receive what you have to say about the Lord. Aside from that, it brings people together and makes them united. It is hard to connect if there is a language barrier.”

Bilingual student on campus Fiona Soto, ’19, feels everyone should study a foreign language for the most part because of the great chance to meet and get to know others.  

“I speak English and German,” Soto said. “Knowing more than one language gives you more different opportunities, and you get to meet a lot more people as opposed to only having one language that you know and only meeting certain people who know that language.

“I’ve made a lot more friends knowing a different language,” Soto continued. “It allowed me to freely live in a different country. I personally think everyone should learn another language because you get to meet a lot more people and do more things.”

20161206-foreign-lang-001
[/media-credit] Today there are approximately 6,500 languages and dialects spoken around the world.

Dairy Farmer Jacob Iest travelled to, explored, and studied in many foreign countries,  particularly Europe, in his lifetime. He is fluent in English, Spanish, and French, he also says everyone must learn another language, as it is very useful in everyday life and helps see the world from a different perspective.

“Daily I work with people who don’t speak English very well,” Iest said. “So I speak Spanish all day long, which helps me to get job done the way they have to be done, and people are happier and feel more comfortable dealing with me. A language is one of few things that makes you a part of community.

“You have to be a part of something in order to use it and be in it, because other things only separate us and keep us in our bubbles,” Iest continued. You can see the world from someone else’s eyes. You hear things you would of never heard otherwise, experience things that only knowing one language you could never experience. If you only speak English you are limiting yourself in the world and from everything the world has.”

The knowledge of a foreign language is remarkable because of the great mass of experience that can be gained and lessons learned. Explore the world, seek truth, break barriers with the incredible power of languages, and remember that adventure of a lifetime is only a language away!

This author can be reached via email: Tatiana Iest and via Twitter: @Tatiana08102000.

For more top 5 articles read, Varsity boys basketball find success, bond at first tournament.