Cheerleading set to become official CIF sport

Cheer gaining momentum in fight to be considered a sport

[/media-credit] The International Olympic Committee recently declared cheer as an official sport.

For the past couple of decades, sports committees and cheer supporters have debated whether or not cheerleading is a sport. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) recently brought cheer competition to the next level. The IOC officially recognized cheer as a sport, Dec. 6, 2016.

Cheerleading started in the 1800s as a non-organized activity when students from Britain started cheering for their favorite athletes. Cheer then came to America in 1869 during a college football game between Princeton and Rutgers University.

However, it was not until 1923 that women were admitted into games as cheerleaders. Today, girls make up almost all of cheer in grade school, junior high and high school. In college, some schools include boys on the team as well.

Recently, California Governor Jerry Brown signed Assembly Bill 949 which approved cheer to become an official CIF sport.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/304811364″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Whether the CIF coniders cheer a sport or not, the debate is still alive. Former FC cheer coach and current Buchanan High School coach Katie Mendenhall believes cheerleaders are excellent athletes. Mendenhall recognizes the rising popularity of cheer and its importance.

“I coached at Fresno Christian for a total of 8 years,” Mendenhall said “I do believe that competitive cheerleading is a sport. Cheerleading has evolved over the past 10 to 15 years. It has expanded from game time sideline cheers to full-blown athletic competition.”

Mendenhall thinks the rise of cheer popularity is because of All Star Cheerleading. All Star Cheerleading is a gym that helps and improves cheerleading ability.

“I believe a big reason for the expansion of cheerleading is All Star Cheerleading.” Mendenhall said. “Most kids who have high-level stunt and tumble skills have been trained in an All Star gym and began competing at a young age. With athletes training in gyms at such young age, cheer is definitely a sport.”

Multi-sport athlete Ronnie Peterson, ‘19, suggests sideline cheer should not be considered as a sport.

“To me, a sport is something that’s competitive and your goal is to win.” Peterson said. “Junior high and high school cheer doesn’t participate in many competitions. Cheering at a sporting event should not be considered a sport. However, when the cheer team goes to completion, it meets all the requirement to be a sport.”

[/media-credit] The FC team will participate in the Clovis Pep Cheer Competition, Jan. 27, at Clovis High School.

Four-year varsity cheerleader Sydney Belmont, ‘17, thinks competitive cheer is a sport, while sideline cheering at sporting events is more of a hobby.

“I have been cheering for four years and I love it,” Belmont said. “It’s such a good way to connect with the girls and learn to handle conflict and teamwork. I think that competition cheer is a sport because you compete against other teams. I also think that cheer is a sport on the college level, I’m not too sure about the high school level though. It’s more of a passion for me.”

Cheer will not be in the upcoming 2020 Olympic games in Tokyo, Japan. Since planning the 2020 Olympics is well underway, the sports in the event have already been decided. In the 2017-18 school year, cheer will become an official sport in California high schools certified by the CIF.

The FC team will participate in the Clovis Pep Cheer Competition, Jan. 28, at Clovis High School.

To read another article check out, FC enforces tardy policy, no exceptions.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JohnMonke and via email: John Monke.