Westmont provides peaceful, introverted atmosphere

[/media-credit] The Westmont campus was very small in comparison to other state and UC schools but was beautiful and peaceful.

College visit provides insight, new perspective

Recalling four years ago when high school began, the idea of choosing a college was a distant problem. Little did I know how fast that it would approach. It was not until I stepped foot on Westmont‘s campus that I realized just how close I was to making my college decision.

Prior to arriving on campus, I made arrangments to stay a night in the dorms with a friend and FC alumnus, Chris Grossman. Seeing a familiar face at the college was comforting as we headed to the basketball game. 

Quickly after arriving at the game, I realized how small and intimate the campus truly was. Contrary to being at a large public university where no one knew each other, at Westmont most students knew each other’s names. This aspect of student life frightened and encouraged me. On one hand, if I decided to attend college there, breaking into that small group of students would be difficult. On the other hand, once “accepted” into the group, I am sure that I would enjoy my time at the institution.

My night spent in the dorm was extremely relaxing. We went back to Chris’ suite style dorm in Clark Hall and I met all of his roommates and closest friends. I was warmly greeted by all of them. After spending time in conversation with them, I got the impression that they were all there, not only to gain a deeper education but also to grow in their faith. 

Overall, I was extremely impressed with my visit to Westmont. The academic excellence and Christian atmosphere made me feel confident in the possibility of attending this school in the future. I enjoyed the introverted and calm vibe that the campus gave off as well. Everyone I met was kind and seemed to be concerned with my personal success. –Phillip Christopher

Throughout the night, we spent time playing Xbox and watching TV. At some point in the night, Chris had to finish writing a paper that was due that night at midnight. He confidently came back into the room about an hour later, declaring that he was finished with his assignment. I found this funny as Chris also was a member of The Feather Online during his time at FC. Feather adviser Greg Stobbe always tells us how much easier writing will be in college after taking journalism. Well, now I have seen it with my own eyes and Stobbe was right, at least in Chris’ case.

After spending the night in the dorm, I slept in. By the time I woke up it was lunch time. We headed down to the dining commons where I was extremely pleased with the food. The cafeteria had a wide variety food to choose from including an area dedicated to students with food allergies. 

The rest of the day I spent roaming around the downtown Santa Barbra area admiring the unique architecture. 

On Monday morning, my parents and I were given a tour of the campus as well as sat in on a class and chapel. Overall, the campus is filled with trees. It gave me a familiar vibe to Hume Lake as the campus is decorated with thick vegetation. The facilities were very well kept and renovated. 

[/media-credit] On a clear day, you can see the ocean from multiple spots on Westmont’s campus.

During my time that I sat in on a kinesiology class, I felt very welcomed. Immediately upon entrance, I was greeted by the professor and he asked me many questions about where I was from and what types of things I was interested in. Once class started I introduced myself to all of the students and two students introduced themselves to me. 

Five minutes into the class I could already feel the sense of intimacy that this small institution provides. The professor was extremely personable and gave his students a sense of compassion and carefulness. You could tell from sitting in on the class that he truly wanted his students to learn and be successful.

From the class, I went to chapel. I was excited to attend this event to compare it to my experiences at FC chapels. I was pleased with the amount of student interaction in this time. It was similar to the atmosphere as FC. Attending this university would be an easy transition as far as the Christian environment is concerned.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with my visit to Westmont. The academic excellence and Christian atmosphere made me feel confident in the possibility of attending this school in the future. I enjoyed the introverted and calm vibe that the campus gave off as well. Everyone I met was kind and seemed to be concerned with my personal success. In the coming months, I will reflect on this visit as I make my final decision on where to attend college.

To read another college article check out: CSF members embark on annual college trip.

To read another college visit article check out: Santa Clara hosts campus tour, shows hospitality.

To read another article check out: Column: Overcoming struggles of diabetes.

This writer can be reached via twitter: @Phillip11499 and via email: Phillip Christopher.