Yosemite flourishes due to above average rainfall

Spring enhanced by excess precipitation

[/media-credit] The above average rainfall has allowed flowers to bloom all across Yosemite.

After several years of continuous drought, the heavens opened and unleashed a record amount of rain and snow on the state of California. For many, this is vital for their jobs or livelihood. For others, it allows for long, hot showers. However, it is also a source for beauty.

This wet year has certainly shown its effects on Yosemite National Park, which lies two hours north of the FC campus. On the drive up, one may find a spectrum of colorful wildflowers this time of year at about 3,000 feet and they should reach Yosemite Valley by early May.

Spring is a time in Yosemite when winter gives way to warmer weather, snow melts and plants begin to thrive. The melting snow fills the waterfalls and cascades and are at their most majestic during May and June.

For Kaleb Goff, a ranger with the United States Park Service, spring is when he returns to the Yosemite as summer staff. This will be his fourth summer in the park.

“Spring is a time where everything is starting up again after wintertime,” Goff said. “And especially this historical spring- I can even see some dogwood blossoms from here. There are flowers, nesting birds, and waterfalls like we’ve never seen before. Spring is definitely the time when Yosemite comes to life.”

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/319933879″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Upon entering the valley, you drive through the one mile long Wawona Tunnel. The end opens up to the famous Tunnel View. Cars and other vehicles can stop at this point to take pictures. From there, Half Dome, El Capitan and Bridalveil Falls are visible.

While there, a tourist who declined to give his name explained why he and his family enjoy Yosemite. To them, it is one of the most amazing places on the planet.

“I love coming here with my family to see the beauty Yosemite has to offer,” he said. “It’s a fun, fairly quick trip to spend the day together in paradise and it’s nice because today is a free day. I was actually hoping to see more wildflowers but the views here are incredible. I’ve never seen so much water in the falls.”

After leaving the vista near the tunnel, you pass the trailhead for Bridalveil Falls. Outside of the car, one can feel an amazing amount of mist. People who were returning from the end of the trail looked as if they jumped in the river itself.

[/media-credit] Yosemite Falls is broken up into three sections and stands 2,445 feet tall.

The quarter-mile trail of the thundering waterfall takes you along the river up to the vista point. Unfortunately, most of the trail was under a foot of water. If you looked towards the waterfall, only a white wall of mist and water was visible, nothing else. Between the noise and water, it seemed like a hurricane. Everyone ended up drenched, literally from head to toe.

Yosemite also offers abundant meadows which help support a bountiful amount of wildlife including mule deer, squirrels, robins, woodpeckers and other reptiles and amphibians. These make exceptional places for birdwatchers, botanists and naturalists to explore.

Arguably the most iconic stop is Yosemite Falls, the highest waterfall in the park at 2,425 feet. The short hike to the base of Lower Yosemite Falls is one of the most popular trails and leads to the unobstructed, close up view of the lower section of the falls. 

The waterfall is broken into three sections: Upper, the Middle Cascades and the Lower. Upper Yosemite Falls itself is a 1,430 foot drop, the Middle Cascades are about 675 feet and the Lower section that is viewed from the trail is a 320 foot drop. In years of little snow or rain, it can dry up completely, most recently occurring last year. However, this year, one needs to yell to communicate over the roar. 

These are just a few of the numerous activities for people to take part in. There are also bike rentals, climbing lessons, fishing opportunities, guided hikes and backpacking trips, horseback rides, rafting, shopping and much more.

Ranger Kaleb Goff encourages everyone to do what they wish to do in the park and not just flock to what is most popular.

“I get asked what my favorite hike is a lot,” Goff said. “I think the main thing about Yosemite is that I hope people will go and do things and pursue things that really make them come alive. I think we live in a world that’s set too much by bucket lists and icons and I hope people will come and explore and do what they want to do. I think that’s one reason why spring is so awesome, there’s so much more opportunity to see more and do more.”

Yosemite National Park is just over two hours north of Fresno and costs upwards of 20 dollars to get into the park. However, there are some free days. There are stores to buy food and plenty of activities to do.

For more articles, read about FC ensemble performing the national anthem at AT&T Park.

This author can be reached via twitter @alexrurik23 and via email, Alexander Rurik.

[rev_slider alias=”yosemite”]