Librarian shows love for kids through learning

[/media-credit] Lin Brown has worked as a librarian at FCS for 29 years.

Lin Brown teaches students through literature

Some staff members do not receive the recognition they deserve. One, in particular, sits in the background but makes one of the biggest influences on the school’s students.

Lin Brown has worked at FCS as a librarian for 29 years and enjoys every minute of it. As a kid, Brown always loved reading. She grew up in the small towns of California, where the library was her central headquarters. When her father took a teaching job in Laton, she spent most of her time at the Carnegie Library.

“A lot of the children’s book were written for adults, and I think that’s the best kept secret ever,” Brown said. “Picking a favorite book is like asking me to tell you which of my kids I favor. I’ve always liked Random Harvest, but I enjoy so many.”

Before she worked as a librarian, she was a Fresno Christian mom, and her two kids attended the school. She volunteered in the library at first, but when she got offered a paid position in the elementary, she gladly accepted. She added junior high to her responsibilities a few years later, then finally took on the high school position as well.

When Brown started working as Fresno Christian’s librarian, she was not sure what the job entailed. But as she continued to grow in the position, she learned that it takes a lot of work and organization.

“Being here is a good fit for me because of the details that are involved,” Brown said. “So as far as the job goes, it’s been interesting to me to find out how well suited I was. It’s been a great experience.”

Brown enjoys her job and works harder to make the library a better place for students. As a librarian, she learned two things: the job came with challenges and she loved kids.

As Brown sat in the library every day, she saw children walk through and learn. She loved reading to the kids when they were young, and watching them grow into young adults ready to take on the world.

“I think I have the best job on campus because I’ve been able to see the kids grow up,” Brown said. “And now some of the students that are older have their kids come through. It’s been so fun, and it’s been an enormous blessing working with the students here.”

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/321928352″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Although Brown enjoys watching the kids grow up, there are some challenges involved. The technology the library needs can’t be paid for on such a small budget, so the equipment isn’t as modernized as Brown would like. It’s also a challenge for Brown to try and schedule the elementary classes with the junior high and high school study hall classes.

Even with these challenges, Brown still finds a way to be positive. The technology they already have gets the job done, and the administration makes an effort to get both classes into study hall, so it works out for everyone.

[/media-credit] This will be Brown’s 30th year working at FCS starting next year.

Positivity is just one of the things that Kimberly DeWolf admires about the librarian’s hard work. She met Brown four years ago working in the LRC, but before that at the Northeast campus as a parent.

“I admire her faith and her servant’s heart and attitude. She has a gentle spirit, and I adore her commitment and love and loyalty to FCS. She relates to students and staff, and stops whatever she’s doing to be helpful and answer questions.”

Trevor Trevino, ’17, is a lifer at FCS, and got to know the librarian in eighth grade. He learned many valuable lessons from her and will miss her as he graduates from Fresno Christian.

“Mrs. Brown has taught me how to be respectful and how to be a valiant reader,” Trevino. “My favorite memory of her was when she let a couple of friends and I play fun run on our phones in study hall. I will miss her smile and her positive attitude towards Fresno Christian.”

This will be Brown’s 30th year working at FCS starting next year. Brown continues to work hard to serve campus students and positively impact their lives. 

“I didn’t even think I would be here so long,” Brown said. “I just got so busy one day and then here we are! I never thought in the terms of three decades, but there was always something to do and I’m always busy.”

Brown would like to stay for a couple more years as a librarian. She loves what she does and wants to continue affecting the lives of students.

To read another article check out: Science classes take trip to Cat Haven.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @schultz_kamryn.