The origins of Labor Day

The story behind the holiday

[/media-credit] Local residents march in downtown San Francisco during the 1984 Labor Day parade.

The smell of BBQ permeates the air while families and friends relax, enjoying their time together. Labor Day is perceived by many as the last piece of summer; the last moment of relaxation before the drudgery of school and work.

However, while this is the general consensus many people do not know the tragic history behind this holiday. Our story starts in the Industrial Revolution, a time when poverty was rampant and workers held few rights.

These conditions were made worse by an economic recession in the 1890s which led to wage cuts. This was especially devastating to the workers of the Pullman company who had to pay rent set by the company as well; which meant their wages decreased while their rent remained the same.

This caused outrage among the employees and caused a strike among Pullman company employees. Encouraged by the Pullman workers, the American Railroad Union led to a nation wide strike, effectively stopping railroad traffic.

With the nation’s railroad system down President Grover Cleveland sent 12,000 soldiers to break the strike and restore the nation’s railroads. Although effective, this show of force outraged union workers and to appease them the government established Labor Day as an official holiday.

Several students, including senior Stephen Walters, shared his perspective on the importance of this holiday.

“The importance of Labor Day is to remember where we came from so we don’t repeat history,” Walters said. “By doing so we prevent future labor or civil issues related to overworking and under playing normal citizens. I like to spend my Labor Day do nothing special, I am not one for wasting a day with sports or other activities that are so common in current culture.”

Fiona Soto, ’19, shared her knowledge of the history behind this day.

“In the 1880s, workers were being treated unfairly in a town in Illinois,” Soto said. “Tons of workers were laid off and the workers that were kept on had their wages cut. Long complicated story. The workers went on strike. It was violent and chaotic. It made national headlines. Workers and unions in New York also protested against unfair labor practices. To try to calm things down, President Cleveland made Labor Day a national holiday to recognize workers and their need for rest and relaxation.”

[/media-credit] Labor union workers parade in San Francisco in 1984.

A former Labor union representative, George Cross, shared take on the importance of this day.

“Originally Labor Day recognized workers, particularly those who worked with their hands and wore a blue collar,” Cross said. “Today Labor Day is for all workers, including professional, public employees, white collar, and blue collar. Unions and its members fought for and gained many of benefits that people enjoy today such as overtime pay, paid holidays, paid vacations, health plan and pensions.”

This is why this holiday came to be and the reason we should remember it.

For more articles, please read: California farmers prepare for almond harvest or Roman Endicott, column: Create an FC experience right now.

The author used these sources for his article: History.com, Huffington Post and PBS NewsHour.

This writer can be reached via twitter @MatthewSue1 and via email: Matthew Sue.