BREAKING: Campus hosts annual college fair, Sept. 19

Academic advisor organizes event to benefit upperclassmen

Colleges from around the country will be coming to the campus for the annual college fair, Sept. 19. Academic advisor Michelle Warkentin is in charge of this event each year.

[/media-credit] With deadline day not far away, seniors have to decide on where they want to go to attend college.

“I’m excited to see all the colleges come to our campus,” Warkentin said. “It’s nice to see all of the colleges that bring their representatives to a private Christian school. This year we’re having twice as many schools come to the fair and it’s nice to see more and more schools wanting to get involved as each year progresses. I hope to see all the students out at the fair talking to as many representatives as possible so they can really get a feel for college in the future.”

With the deadline approaching, seniors have to decide on where they want to go to college. Senior Stephen Walters has not fully committed to a college but has many schools to consider.

“I have no decided on what college I’m going to yet,” Walters said. “I have several options currently open to me. Unlike most people, I’m not much of a dreamer for what colleges I can attend. I currently am aiming for Cal Poly at the top of my list, and GCU is my primary option with Fresno State as a backup. I am planning on majoring in mechanical engineering. I will be at the college fair so I can ask questions and get more information on the schools that I am considering attending.”

Joey Huang, ’18, looks forward to the campus college fair and hopes to see east coast colleges represented there. Huang is looking to attend an east college and major in biomedical engineering or biological science.

“I am excited for the college fair tomorrow,” Huang said. “I think the college fair is a very good opportunity to explore what colleges are out there and see what our options are. I want to major in biomedical engineering or biological science. I went last year to the college fair, and this year I am expecting colleges from the east coast to be there.”

Advisors will set booths around the quad for their colleges. Students can speak to 25+ college representatives and get information about colleges and receive pamphlets. 

I’m excited to see all the colleges come to our campus. It’s nice to see all of the colleges that bring their representatives to a private Christian school. This year we’re having twice as many schools come to the fair and it’s nice to see more and more schools wanting to get involved as each year progresses. — Michelle Warkentin, academic advisor

FC liaison Reggie Williams is also going to be one of the organizers of the event. He encourages the students to take advantage of the opportunity that has been presented to them.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what the colleges have to offer,” Williams said. “What’s most important to not only me but also to you is if the college is a good fit for you? Is the college in a good location that helps you and your family? You may have to choose a college that’s out of California that might benefit you. There’s just a lot of questions that you may have to ask you and your family before you make the decision to go to a certain college.”

This event is a chance to look into the future about a college choice you may be dwelling on. The fair will start at 12:30 p.m. and seniors are required to stay on campus during the entire lunch period.

Academic advisor Michelle Warkentin compiled the following list of events that seniors should consider in their college preparation:

[/media-credit] To view Warkentin’s full compilation of important relating to college, visit the Senior Calendar under the ‘Academics’ tab.

Oct. 1: FAFSA application opens, CSU application opens.

Oct. 2: FCS Parent/Student College Night Workshop (6:30-8 p.m.).

Oct. 7: SAT Test (deadline Sept. 27).

Oct. 16: Fresno State Application Workshop (9 a.m.-12p.m.).

Oct. 16: Trinity Western University Rep in civics classes (4th/5th periods).

Oct. 17: SCCCD email activation.

Oct. 28: ACT Test (registration deadline Sept. 22).

For high school students looking to prepare for college and plan ahead, visit Fresno Christian’s ‘Course Descriptions’ tab.

To view Warkentin’s full compilation of important relating to college, visit the Senior Calendar under the ‘Academics’ tab.

Fresno Christian provides academic self-help on their website under the ‘Academic’ tab. Resources include guides for acceptance into CSU and UC colleges, graduation requirements, academic planners and course request sheets.

Additionally, the Fresno Christian College Fair will be held at Hope Lutheran Church from 6-8 p.m., Sept. 19.

For questions about college, academic advisor Michelle Warkentin can be reached via email: Michelle Warkentin.

For more articles please read: STEM club fosters scientific exploration or read about last year’s campus college fair: On campus college fair excites students, introduces opportunities.

This author can be reached via twitter @sukyboiii and via email: Suky Cheema.