Grandparents engage with students during annual celebration

Campus recognizes 26th annual Grandparents Day 

Campus attendance doubled as students, accompanied by their grandparents, toured the grounds, visiting classes and creating connections between two generations, Sept. 22. Grandparents Day is celebrated at FC each year to build connections with school families and engage with the community.

[/media-credit] FC celebrates Grandparents Day each year to build connections with school families and engage with the community.

Superintendent Jeremy Brown estimates that grandparent attendance increased from 400 to 500, an increase of 100, representing 350 students. He enjoys the tradition of Grandparents’ Day and hopes it continues on campus for many generations to come.

“A new piece we put in two years ago that I like is that in our junior high and high school we have about 150 kids who are sitting down and interviewing their grandparents about what it was like when they were in high school,” Brown said. “These are conversations that normally don’t happen. These conversations are impactful and it’s a time of ministering for the grandparents.”

Grandparents were greeted with coffee and refreshments upon first arriving on campus. After meeting with their grandchildren, grandparents gathered into the SMC for a brief chapel. Principal Amy Deffenbacher opened the chapel by thanking the grandparents for their support.

Kristin Eldridge’s second-grade class led the group with the pledge of allegiance after Deffenbacher took her seat. The high school choir, led by director Susan Ainley, followed by performing a song, their first performance of the year.

We have grandparents for years that have always supported our school. They do everything from supporting their grandchildren to attending athletic games. They are donors, like for our new playground project. Whenever we run community events we always have some parents and also grandparents to come and they give because they like the sense of community we have. — Superintendant Jeremy Brown 

Grandparents Day provided grandparent a window into their grandchildren’s interactions in the classroom. Francis Castro, the grandmother of Natalie Arndt, ‘21, enjoyed spending time with her granddaughter in a place where she spends an abundance of time.

“I see that Natalie is growing in the Lord and she is growing closer to him,” Castro said. “It is important for me because the things that we do at home and our faith has also passed down to our grandchildren and our walk with the Lord and they see us not only what were saying but how were living. And so it is very important that we are involved with our grandchildren.”

[/media-credit] Superintendent Jeremy Brown estimates that grandparent attendance increased from 400 to 500, an increase of 100, representing 350 students.

Adopted grandfather of senior Celeste Counts, David Pittenger, appreciates Grandparents Day as a special way to connect with his grandchildren–through education.

I think my granddaughters have a great opportunity,” Pittenger said. “My daughters went to Christian school as well, I think it’s great. It gives them an all-around education. This is our third year participating. My favorite part was just hanging out with my granddaughters. My advice is that dedication and hard work get results. Work hard, don’t do what your friends do and don’t give into peer pressure. Work hard, be dedicated, and trust in the Lord.”

For sixth grader, Jenna Obwald, Grandparents Day is a day which allows her to show her grandparents where she spends her days.

“I am with my grandpa, Jeffrey,” Obwald said. “I made a craft in my first teacher’s class and then we filled out a paper and did interviews in my second teacher’s class. I’m excited because they’re important to me and it’s fun to show them around my classrooms. My favorite thing about my grandpa is that he’s funny and that he’s always there for me when I’m not feeling very well.”

Superintendent Brown appreciates the circle of multi-generational community and the support that grandparents provide.

“We have grandparents for years that have always supported our school,” Brown said. “They do everything from supporting their grandchildren to attending athletic games. They are donors, like for our new playground project. Whenever we run community events we always have some parents and also grandparents to come and they give because they like the sense of community we have.”

For more articles, read Seniors reflect on freshman regrets.

To read about Grandparents Day last year, Recap: Grandparents Day 2016.

Slideshow below includes images from Grandparents Day 207.

[rev_slider alias=”2017grandparentsday”]

Sam Cross can be reached via email and via Twitter. Alex Rurik can be reached via email and via Twitter. Mariana Fikse can be reached via email and Twitter.