Homecoming for Humanity: Topper Tuesday

Campus events, theme engage students 

Homecoming spirit is still building in the student body as the second day comes to a close. Tuesday has been a busy and excitement-filled day on campus for many students and staff members. With Champions for Tomorrow, News Engagement Day and the princess pageant, the campus offered activities to promote engagement and fun for the student body.

[/media-credit] Sophomores Deborah Ingerson, ’20, (left to right), Annabelle Messer, Megan LeBlanc, Avery Jones and freshmen Hannah Villines sport their favorite hats to celebrate Topper Tuesday.

Competing classes challenged each other to earn points in the homecoming competition, Topper Tuesday filled the campus with hats of all shapes, sizes and styles. From giant squid hats to team baseball caps, imagination was the limit for FC students. All students who participated in today’s dress-up theme benefited their class in the homecoming class competition.

Senior king candidate Stephen Walters, ‘18, discusses why he chose to dress up.

“I chose to dress up today because I always need an excuse to be a little extra and go a little over the top,” Walters said. “So, I thought today would be the perfect day to combine a couple hats and create something truly wacky. My outfit is loosely based off the Dye I4 paintball mask. Whereas I have a beanie which is the main part, then I have the mask which just goes around it. Then I have a ballcap that just goes on top of that.”

News Engagement Day takes place once a year the first Tuesday of October across the nation, encouraging students to engage in the news. The Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) first launched #newsengagementday in 2014. The Feather Online has participated through articles, photos, videos and various social media platforms since the day’s inception.

Feather co-editor-in-chief Alex Rurik, ‘19, describes what News Engagement Day means to him. Rurik hopes that his peers will read and inform themselves on events occurring in the world around them.

[/media-credit] News Engagement Day encourages students to read and engage in the news to be informed.

“News Engagement Day is a day where we really try to emphasize to students that news actually does matter to them,” Rurik said. “So many people on campus are oblivious to the fact or think it’s dumb, that news actually matters to them. I encourage all students to engage in the news both on our site, via social media, the internet and vote on our weekly polls.”

In chapel, students listened to a presentation given by representatives from Champions for Tomorrow, an organization that strives to encourage students around the United States to achieve their dreams. The two people that came to speak were former NFL player Devin Wyman and professional singer Emille Crawford. Each of them touched on their troubling past and how they overcame their circumstances through Jesus.

Janae Shew, ‘19, shares her thoughts on the Champions for Tomorrow speakers. Shew appreciated the speakers’ willingness to share their personal stories during chapel. 

“I thought the speakers and especially their background stories were really cool,” Shew said. “My favorite part was hearing Devin Williams’ story; where he had come from and everything he went through to become a pro football player and eventually motivational speaker.”

Megan LeBlanc, ‘19, shares her experiences as a princess and her advice to the freshmen students. LeBlanc encourages freshman to savor their time in high school and appreciate the small things as well as the large. 

“Being a part of the homecoming court is really fun,” LeBlanc said. “We have been doing a lot of activities like photo shoots and the princess pageants. We knew about the princess pageant game ahead of time. As we got there we got more and more nervous but ended up having fun even though we didn’t win any rounds. My freshman year went by so fast. My advice to freshmen would be to have fun and enjoy every little thing you can.”

[/media-credit] Homecoming princess nominees compete Princess Pageant games to win points for their class.

Tuesday was the first day of FC’s princess pageant, an opportunity for each set of princesses to display their skills. Today’s challenge was a favorite game from Hume Lake Christian Camp, Kajabe Can-Can.

Kajabe Can-Can is a game where competitors are linked in a circle holding ropes between them with a goal of forcing each other into a trash can placed at the center of the circle. Competitors are eliminated if they hit the garbage can or let go of the rope. Kamryn Schultz, ’19, won both rounds against the other princesses and earned points for the junior class.

There are still three more days of FC’s homecoming dress up series. Tomorrow, student leadership encourages classes to participate in Wish upon a Star Wednesday (Disney themed), then PJ Thursday, and finally, Spirit Friday. Every student who dresses up earns points for their class and pushes them a little ahead.

Students, be sure to remind your friends about the themes and encourage some friendly, class competition!

This writer can be reached via email and via Twitter

For more on homecoming, read Homecoming for Humanity: ‘Merica Monday. For more on News Engagement Day, read News Engagement Day emphasizes student involvement.

For more on Champions for Tomorrow, read Champions For Tomorrow returns with impressive feats, encouraging message.

Slideshow below includes images from Homecoming 2017 week’s second dress up day, Topper Tuesday. 

[rev_slider alias=”2017homecomingrecapday2″]