Sikh Nagar Kirtan festival brings people together, celebrates culture

Religious celebrations honors everlasting gurus

[/media-credit] This year the 38th Sikh Parade took place in Yuba City, California, Nov. 4-6.

This year the 38th Sikh Parade took place in Yuba City, California, Nov. 4-6. The Nagar Kirtan is a holiday for the Sikhism’s holy scriptures Siri Guru Granth Sahib and the 10 gurus before it. 

Jernell Dhillon, a truck driver, talks about what he thought about the 38th annual Yuba City Nagar Kirtan.

“The Nagar Kirtan was amazing,” Dhillon said. “This was my first year going and I really did have a great time. Everything about the Nagar Kirtan was perfect and I can’t wait to go back again next year. To be surrounded by people with the same faith, it really does make you feel like you’re at your own home.”

Rain or shine, the Nagar Kirtan always takes place as Sikhs come from all around and gather at Yuba City. A large and increasing number of Sikh devotees and spectators come in the thousands to Yuba City, California, for a weekend of festivities as they take part in the tradition of the Nagar Kirtan, a parade featuring devotional hymns. No matter what religion or race, everyone is welcome to come to the Nagar Kirtan as Sikhs encourage them to participate in the events.

“I think it’s great,” Dhillon continued. “The fact that we encourage ethnics to come and join in is incredible and really makes me feel like we stand out. Even the people that don’t want to join in sit and watch as we pray and enjoy which is great because they can understand that Sikhism is different from Hinduism as many people seem to get us confused.”

The events started with a worship service, prayer and fireworks, Nov. 3. Starting on the morning of Nov. 4, the Sikh flag (Nishan Sahib) was followed by worship and prayer. At 2 p.m. a tour of the gurdwara (temple) and grounds took place as people were looking around at where everything was set up.

From 6 p.m. until midnight, the rain sabaee kirtan worship service took place, Nov. 5. The Guru Gadee Nagar Kirtan annual Sikh parade started as a float with the Guru Granth Sahib, followed by many other floats representing Sikhism that roamed the streets of Yuba City along a four and half-mile stretch.

[/media-credit] The Nagar Kirtan is a holiday for the Sikhism’s holy scriptures Siri Guru Granth Sahib and the 10 gurus before it. 

In the Nagar Kirtan, the people’s heads had to be covered on the gurdwara (temple) grounds and when the parade was taking place. Covering the head is a way of showing respect to God in Sikhism, so if anyone does not have something to cover their head they would be provided with one.

The food varied from traditional Indian food to some American food such as fries, candy and veggie burgers. All the foods at the Nagar Kirtan had to be vegetarian because in Sikhism it is forbidden to kill and eat animals. For that reason, all foods on the Gurdwaras campus and on the streets were vegetarian as no meat is allowed on the grounds cause that is a sign of disrespect.

“I thought the Nagar Kirtan was great,” Dhillion said. “The food was good and cooked well as there was a lot of food to try out and eat. An estimated 400,000 free meals had been given out this year which sounds amazing to me. The parade was good as they drove every single float had it’s own insight of Sikhi. The best part of the Nagar Kirtan, however, was the market set on the side. People could buy Indian clothes, food, blankets, toys and other things for good quality. Overall I think this year’s Nagar Kirtan was one of the best and can’t wait for next years.” 

For more articles, read John Walsh shares tragedy, teaches from loss during SJV Town Hall and COLUMN: Traditional Punjabi wedding showcases culture, family.

Harjot Singh can be reached via email and via Twitter.