Join the Discussion: Thanksgiving break

Table+filled+with+many+different+types+of+traditional+thanksgiving+foods.+
Table filled with many different types of traditional thanksgiving foods.

Community discusses holiday

With Thanksgiving Day drawing near, many students are starting to look forward to the festivities it brings. Although Thanksgiving has its roots in a traditional event many people have developed their own traditions and customs. This has led to a large variety of things people look forward to. Students and staff from the community shared their favorite parts of this holiday. Campus students, teachers and staff are now out for the Thanksgiving break. Classes will resume Nov. 27. Please share in the comment section below your favorite Thanksgiving traditions and foods.

[/media-credit] Students will have Thanksgiving week off, Nov. 20 – 24. School resumes, Nov. 27.

The leftovers
Stephen Walters, Senior
November 16, 2017

“My plans for Thanksgiving are to enjoy my vacation and have dinner with my family, but I am having my wisdom teeth out the day before Thanksgiving. My favorite Thanksgiving food is stuffing. My favorite Thanksgiving memory is when my family and my friends all got together and had a great day of fun. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is eating and eating the leftovers in the following days.”

Cooking with family
Maicy Luginbill, Senior
November 16, 2017

“My family and I all do a Bible study and then we all go over to my grandmas and eat dinner. Also in the Luginbill family, we throw a turkey bowl in the morning where we play flag football with a bunch of friends and we have coffee and doughnuts. One of my top memories from Thanksgiving was Lauryn and I use to sing Thanksgiving songs to the whole family and it was really funny. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is cooking with my grandma and being able to be with my whole family for the day.”

A much-needed break
Reece Trevino, Junior
November 16, 2017

“I am planning to practice football with my team and relax since I have to time off from school. I will be seeing family on Thanksgiving day and I will be eating a lot of food. My favorite Thanksgiving food is turkey with gravy. Eating with friends and family at my side would be my favorite part.”

Reconnecting with family
Amanda Grimmius, Junior
November 16, 2017

[/media-credit] Norman Rockwell’s painting, “Freedom from Want,” depicts a family having a Thanksgiving meal.

“I’m planning to sleep in and be with my family over break. My favorite Thanksgiving food is definitely sweet potatoes. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is getting to reconnect with my family that I rarely see and spend some quality time with them.”

The food
Nathan Martin, Sophomore 
November 17, 2017

“I really like the turkey legs and mashed potatoes. Also, I always help deep-fry the turkey. My top memory is when I had to put out the fire of the burning oil after deep-frying the turkey. My aunt brings my sister and me our Christmas presents when she comes for Thanksgiving since she isn’t in town for Christmas.”

Being together with family
Lindsay Weimer, Sophomore
November 17, 2017

“We always eat Thanksgiving meal around lunch time and then go for round 2 of leftovers later that night. One of my favorite memories of Thanksgiving is the time my sister was laughing so hard she spat out all of her mashed potatoes all over the table. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is seeing my family being altogether, but the food is a pretty close second.”

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
Faith Monroy, Freshman
November 17, 2017

“I’m going over to my cousin’s house and we’re going to watch the football games and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and eat. My family has a secret mash potatoes recipe and it’s pretty good. I’m thankful for my friends and family and that I get to go to a Christian school.”

Spending time with friends and family
Brennen Tozlian, Freshman
November 17, 2017

“I have a huge family so I have four different Thanksgivings celebrations. I have Thanksgiving on Sunday with my stepmom’s family and I have Thanksgiving on Thursday with my dad’s family. I have Thanksgiving on Tuesday with my friends. Then I have Thanksgiving on Friday with my mom/aunts family, so I have a lot going on. I’m thankful for my huge family because I get to hang out with a lot of different people and they’re all really nice.”

Enjoying time off
Dan Baker, Groundskeeper
November 17, 2017

[/media-credit] Students and their families celebrate Thanksgiving in many ways, spending time with family and vacationing. 

“Just going to spend some time with family, have a big meal and enjoy some time off. [I am] thankful to be alive, be very healthy and be able to spend time with family.”

Thankfulness 
Scott Bucher, Science teacher
November 17, 2017

“I do like turkey, but not as much golden potatoes, which is a cheesy potato dish that I really enjoy. I don’t know if I could pin down a favorite other than that. It would be easier to ask for what I’m not thankful for. I’m obviously thankful for my family, my job and for the freedoms that we have and for what God has done especially.”

What are your Thanksgiving traditions? Do you have any favorite moments of Thanksgiving? Share them below in the comment section.

For more articles, please read: Roman Endicott column or Zoology and AP biology visit Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Matthew Sue can be reached via twitter @MatthewSue1 and via email: Matthew Sue.

Sam Cross can be reached via Twitter and via email.